MoalBoal December 2-4 2010 - some pics and words

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wantonmien

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

A little summary incase it helps others - destination MoalBoal

Landing on the redeye from Taipei before dawn last Thursday 2 Dec, and onto first available flight over to Cebu we were met by pre arranged driver to take us to MoalBoal. Three hours on the road, blearly eyed we arrived to check into Cabana Beach Resort Cebu Moalboal.

Decent hotel, clean, balcony looking straight onto the water, rooms adequate, price reasonable. Two mins walk down the road to our chosen dive centre "Savedra" scuba diving cebu philippines whom actually had booked our hotel for us and arranged our pick up at the airport.

Savedra, no problem, organised, plenty of room for the gear, decent wash facilities, Nitrox available and checked, friendly bunch and if we visited again we would use without hesitation. Not sure if they were the cheapest in town, but service was faultless.

Within a couple of hours we were out for our first dive with "Os" who took us on the boat (with around 4 others) for our first dive five minutes up the coast, next day another 3 dives, Saturday morning another 2 dives before we sorted the gear and jumped back in the car to head North to Mactan, to check out it's diving.

Overall Diving at MoalBoal, we had hoped to see a Whale shark and some Threshers but alas did not, but we still found plenty of life to make all dives good. All dives were "wall dives" fish and macro life in abundance, and of course at Pescador we enjoyed diving amongst the thick schools of Sardines, swirling around us with occasional rapid parting of the shoals as Tuna or Barracuda darted in to eat. Quite amazing to sit in the centre of clouds of Sardines and even a bit disorienting at times, but of course when seeing enough sardines - the Pescador wall was alive with corals and life.

Almost 3 days at MoalBoal I think was almost long enough, as although the diving was all good, we think we saw just about all the sights in the water - except of course the elusive Whaleshark or Threshers :depressed:. Did however meet a turtle who unusually did not seem to care about a diver being close and merrily carried on with his busy eating session along one of the walls, almost nudging me out of the way on route !

MoalBoal village, food, drink all ok, no problem, not a bustling place but after a day of diving there's enough places to chill out and enjoy some decent food and a beer or two.

Still getting used to strobe and camera settings, but a few pics taken on G11 with normal underwater settings are below ~ and a few more uploaded to ScubaBoard Gallery - MoalBoal 1-4 December 2010

Cheers

terrific pics
im going there myself on feb. hope the bait ball's still there...

wow! nice macro photos. of course you use close-up wet lenses, yea? what's your light set-up?

Hi Wanderlass, yep have a wet lens to swivel over to help with the macros and definetly was a good purchase :D.

For lights actually just using a single Inon D2000 with simple STTL setting, and though I played around with various settings on the Canon and stobe - I managed to take maybe 100 consecutive useless shots - so decided to keep it simple and now just sticking with Canon 'underwater' mode - with most shots ok, and just some needing minor adjustment on computer later.

Cheers

Hi,

nice pics.
Could you give me some more info about the Hotel?
I'm currently loonking also for a Hotel there...
I'll go there next Spring ;-)

Regard from Munich

tfrueh

Wow, awesome pics!! Thanks for sharing.

Hi,

nice pics.
Could you give me some more info about the Hotel?
I'm currently loonking also for a Hotel there...
I'll go there next Spring ;-)

Regard from Munich

tfrueh

tfrueh,

Not sure what else I can tell you - but MoalBoal does not have big sprawling 5*, all hotels there are pretty small, basic and right on the ocean along the 200m stretch of the town. Cabana was right in the middle, and a couple of minutes walk to Savedra dive centre (whom if you contact will send you a list with couple of other hotels and book you in). In Cabana we actually ended up with the 'Honeymoon Suite' (though not on honeymoon) on first floor, walking out of the doors onto our balcony looking right at the ocean ~ down the stairs and we were right alongside hotel restaurant, with a couple steps down into the water ~ handy for a late night swim :D. We were there for the diving, but for sure if staying 3 or 4 days, Cabana Beach Resort Cebu Moalboal no problem, though I'd go for one of the better rooms such as we had, and not the cheaper ones ~ as they looked a bit dark and small.

When in MoalBoal, and after the dives also worth taking a trip to the waterfalls - for a bit of a hike and a nice rewarding 'cold' fresh water swim !

Enjoy.

Very nice Wantonmein,

thanks for the link to this post and the info.

Back
Top Bottom