Night dive collection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rogersea

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Tongo Poiint Basdiot Moalboal Philippines
# of dives
While out for a night dive on Thursday, we noticed that many Crown of Thorns had shown up along the wall in front of my place, So last night (Saturday Nov 5) we decided to go after a few. Since they are mostly Nocturnal feeders they are usually easier to collect at night, I asked Chris and Joan to join me and together we collected 141 of them. Although this was Joan's first attempt at collecting COTS she had on the proper attire, wet suit, thick neoprene gloves and most importantly she used tongs to collect/pick them up. All three of us carried our own burlap type bag to store them in.

Joan Reaching for Crown of Thorns.jpgcrown-of-thorns.jpgcrown-of-thorns2.jpg
these photos show Joan about to collect COTS, Us posing with our catch and finally me counting the catch.

We only covered a small portion of the reef during the 50 Minute dive, and since it was the third dive of the day we called it a night after we counted the little guys double bagged them and put them under the boat. Waiting for them to die and dump in the deep! Not sure when the next collection will be. But if your interested and will be Moal Boal and want to learn how to collect these bastarbs let me know.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom