About carrying "Ding Ding rod" in underwater.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

p0lly

Registered
Reaction score
Now that we know touching sea creatures is not recommendable, May I ask you your opinion about this :
I've seen many divers carrying their "Ding Ding rods" in underwater. Must it be banned or not?

I have seen dm used it to point out interesting organisms for the divers to look/photo.
I have also seen dm used it to poke around soft corals etc or "ushering" some poor creatures to comprise. ditto to divers.
But most divers use it because they have lousy technique.

Is it recommendable? Only if use it as a pointer. I am sure some photographers will have other ideas!!!!

I occasionally carry a 'ding-ding' rod underwater. I only use it to beat and whip upon divers who make the dive site obnoxious with noisy devices... :-|

DIY 'Ding-Ding' Rod:

images

Ding Ding sticks are used differently than a stainless steel pointer. I have no problem with them in general as they can serve a purpose, but using a SS pointer as a Ding Ding annoys me.

Stopped using them years ago & keep on telling divers around me not to use them. I often feel like don quichotte in doing so though...
The current is often the official reason why people use them around my turf. Then again if your hands can't take the beating, neither can the coral.
As for pointing things out, i've got 10 non-ding ding rods, ie my fingers. The 5 extra centimeters of the ding-ding won't help, if people don't want to look.
Likewise, if pointing with my fingers for 1 minute does not get divers looking, then they must be more happy looking elsewhere and enjoying the ride. Being a Divemaster gives me no right to force them out of their thing.
Lastly, using the rod to stabilise yourself, turn around or move backwards shows a lack of dive skills. Buoyancy, helicopter turns or reverse finning can achieve the same results without upsetting the surroundings. And for photographers who think this does not apply to them: I do not use a ding ding when doing super-macro with a subsee +10 diopter and a 100mm lens.
Ding-dings are worthless dongs...

Divers who use them to poke at the reef are poorly trained hacks, but divers who make me listen to them being used as a tank-banger are putting their lives at unnecessary risk.

Back
Top Bottom