Cebu 7 days, where to dive? Malapascua and...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I first went Moalboal in Nov 2011 when the Sardines are still at Pescador Island. Very big ball and impressive. The 2nd time I went in May 2016, the sardines are in front of saverdra but due to shallower water, the viz is not good and still impressive balls. The last time I went in Nov 2022 with the LOB, they are not there when we dived at Moalboal. I heard Sardine has come back but less now.
I was there a few months ago and the sardines are back in front of Savedra.. Shore divers and the snorkellers can see them again.. 🙄

I was there a few months ago and the sardines are back in front of Savedra.. Shore divers and the snorkellers can see them again.. 🙄
How big is the school? I be going again to Moalboal with LOB in Jan 2024. Hope to see them there.

I'll have to go back one day for the sardine run it looks epic in the videos I've seen!

On a separate note, how safe are the buses or mini vans to maya port from the north bus terminal? I'll come with a carry on and a dry bag and keep valuables with me in the dry bag but is it safe to leave my carry on in their storage?

I'll have to go back one day for the sardine run it looks epic in the videos I've seen!

On a separate note, how safe are the buses or mini vans to maya port from the north bus terminal? I'll come with a carry on and a dry bag and keep valuables with me in the dry bag but is it safe to leave my carry on in their storage?
The bag goes to the storage compartments which are at the bottom of both sides of the bus.
How safe is it? I never had anything taken.
There would be so many coming and going during the journey. So it is not very practical to get off the bus every time when someone is leaving.
If you are travelling in a V-hire(shared van) then you need to buy another seat for your bag and it stays next to you. Packed like sardine on V-hire!! LOL.

I never had a problem with theft on busses in the Philippines unlike in Thailand. The drivers don't own the bus and sleep in the luggage compartment. Just go to the North Bus terminal and buy a ticket and wait in line. They have to stop at the places that are not their own determination but they do tend to drive like complete raging jerks. Another option is something called vhire if you ask about it at the terminal but they'll know you're a foreigner and overcharge you. It might still be worth it as they can certainly be more comfortable and significantly faster. The white vans typically won't run until they have as many passengers as they can fit. There's also a taxi company called Ogre's with aggressive drivers and recent model black Hiace vans with impressive acceleration. I never traveled in them but I see them while driving on the island and even in my neighborhood so I might try it if I ever have to go to the airport without my vehicle.

Just take Ceres and don't worry about it imo, there will be other travelers. If you put some thought into your luggage situation you should be fine.

This was written in Jan this yr. So schedule may change. Check it first with the operator on the island.

Hi there,
I am new to the board and came across the forum in googling on places go dive in in Cebu. I will be in Cebu for 7 days and have dived mostly in SE Asia and consider myself an intermediate diver. I am trying to decide on where to dive in Cebu and get the most of it. I will be going end of November.

I haven't seen any large pelagic stuff so I decided on Malapascua and originally thought I'd focus there for the week seeing as travelling to and from cuts out 2 days. I've already paid for a Nitrox course so I'm committed to be there but I can't help but feel like I am missing out on other sites like Moal Boal, or Bohol. How many days would you say is enough for Malapascua, and is it reasonable in thinking I can fit in one more location? What would you experienced divers recommend as another must dive spot if you felt you could fit it in?

Thanks in advance!
I go to Cebu alot for scuba. normally stay around lapu lapu and take ferry across to Bohol . There are also nature preserves called Nalusuan and one other nearby to scuba which you can get to by dive boat from lapu lapu and also a small deep cavern dive there and a sunken small plane on a shore dive. I always drive down to Moalboal , not for sardines but for Pescador island and also night dives there. I see feather star fish. translucent see through giant cuttle fish etc. huge octopus and mantis shrimp the size of lobsters btw.

A thought for you. if down near moalboal you can visit Oslob and snorkel with Whale sharks year round. And take a ferry to dumaguete and visit Apo island for scuba.

just throwing it out there you can take a ferry multiple places to scuba more and avoid a plane trip........

I have similar questions to the OP, as my wife (non-diver, maybe snorkel) and I are flying to Taiwan in Jan/2024. Our son just got married to a Filipino girl (in Toronto) whose family is from Cebu, they keep on saying we need to go to Cebu for a few days. So we'll probably go to Cebu for a few days late Jan or early Feb/2024.

Do Filipinos celebrate Lunar new year and everything comes to a halt like some places in Asia (Taiwan, Vietnam, China..), and we should avoid those days?

We'd like to see whale sharks, but don't want to do the 4am wake up day-excursion. So would a trip first to Moalboal for a day of diving (and maybe snorkeling for her), then do Oslob?

Is there diving to see whale sharks, or basically only snorkeling at Oslob, before we get back to Cebu to fly out?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom