Manila hotel for one nighter before transfer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are going to visit Puerto Galera in March, but the airline schedules all seem to be coming in very late to Manila. We will need an overnighter in Manila before transferring on in the morning, (and for one night on the back end of the trip also) and have no idea where to stay in Manila for this. Anybody have any recommendations? All we need is a decent basic hotel (preferably with breakfast included) as we are just passing through. Also, what are cabs like for the airport transfer? The hotels all seem to want about $20 for a one way shuttle, and that seems high, but I really don't know. Any advice? Thanks for your help.

Have a look here for hotel transfer & ferry details :-

Puerto Galera Gallera Si-Kat Sea Cat bus service ferryboat Manila Mindoro Philippines - Schedules &amp Rates

Citystate Tower Hotel | Manila, Philippines

A cab from the airport to that hotel should be @ 200php. Not stayed there myself yet, we have usually stayed at the Bayview Park Hotel which is close to the Citystate Tower Hotel, but we are going to try there at end Feb on our way out & in March before returning home. We are then going to Coron for 8 nights & then onto Sabang for 10 nights.

I like the lotus garden which is just next door to the city state in Ermita..... the lotus garden is a little nicer and newer than the city state. Read the reviews on trip advisor to get a better idea of the hotels...the two hotels are a hop skip and a jump away from each other so you can still use the Si-kat no problem. The area itself is not the best but if it is only one night it's fine, you'll probably be too busy sleeping off the jet lag... Makati is a little nicer but more expensive and further away from the sikat....

The least hassle is to use the coupon taxis but its about 530 peso but you have less chance of getting taken for a ride. I hear of people still getting taken advantage of when using the yellow taxis. You can still use the yellow taxis and they will be cheaper than the coupon taxis but make sure he turns on the meter and the starting rate is 70 pesos.... anything else, pretend you want to get out of the cab and report him and usually they change their mind straight away.

I've had friends who thought they were smarter than the taxi drivers who work there and went outside the airport to use the yellow taxis waiting on the main ride and the yellow taxi driver ended up asking 1500 PHP for a 300 PHP ride.

When my family comes to visit me here I use the coupon taxis as I believe it has less chance of any headaches and is still somewhat economical compared to getting the hotel organised shuttle.

City garden suites is about $25-28 a night, v clean, sat tv, safe free wifi and taxis called to hotel. Decent breakfast too. Have stayed there twice.

I like the lotus garden which is just next door to the city state in Ermita..... the lotus garden is a little nicer and newer than the city state. Read the reviews on trip advisor to get a better idea of the hotels...the two hotels are a hop skip and a jump away from each other so you can still use the Si-kat no problem. The area itself is not the best but if it is only one night it's fine, you'll probably be too busy sleeping off the jet lag... Makati is a little nicer but more expensive and further away from the sikat....

The least hassle is to use the coupon taxis but its about 530 peso but you have less chance of getting taken for a ride. I hear of people still getting taken advantage of when using the yellow taxis. You can still use the yellow taxis and they will be cheaper than the coupon taxis but make sure he turns on the meter and the starting rate is 70 pesos.... anything else, pretend you want to get out of the cab and report him and usually they change their mind straight away.

I've had friends who thought they were smarter than the taxi drivers who work there and went outside the airport to use the yellow taxis waiting on the main ride and the yellow taxi driver ended up asking 1500 PHP for a 300 PHP ride.

When my family comes to visit me here I use the coupon taxis as I believe it has less chance of any headaches and is still somewhat economical compared to getting the hotel organised shuttle.

What are coupon taxis, and how does one go about using them?

So you are going to spend all that money just to get there then haggle over a $35 taxi ride...1500 PHP is about $34.60 USD. If your budget is that tight, wait six months and save a "little" more money...:hm:

To get a coupon taxi, you first buy a coupon from a person at a desk just outside the airport door. The coupon prices are posted on a big board, which can be reassuring, and are based on zones: the further you are travelling from the airport, the higher the price. You hand the coupon to the driver and away you go. The coupon taxis are generally in very good shape. If you've only got large bills because you just visited the ATM and only have P500s, you might as well get a coupon taxi. Yellow and white taxi drivers will not have change for that size of bill, or at least that's what they'll tell you.

Yellow taxis are nearly always air-conditioned and will work out to be cheaper. P200 to Ermita/Malate sounds about right. It will be just as obvious where the yellow-taxi stand is, whichever terminal you're arriving at. I have never had a problem with the drivers' honesty or safety, although it is possible some may need a gentle reminder to put the flag down.

White taxis can be in less desirable mechanical state (or can be quite okay), and are cheaper yet again.

So you are going to spend all that money just to get there then haggle over a $35 taxi ride...1500 PHP is about $34.60 USD. If your budget is that tight, wait six months and save a "little" more money...:hm:
I don't mind to pay but I don't like getting rip-off!!
If the taxi driver is honest and willing to use the metre as well as not saying that he would not be able to get a returning customer, P2,000.00 probably can get you all the way from the airport to Batangas Pier.

What a condescending attitude!

1500php should get you 5x around the entire Metro Manila. It's a gross rip-off. It may mean nothing to you, but throwing your money around and fulfilling the stereotype of the dumb American tourist only serves to further encourage gross over-charging of visitors to the Philippines. That, ultimately, damages the Philippines and the way visitors view the place and people.

Airport taxis are pre-arranged before you leave arrivals. They are pre-agreed prices, which are substantially higher than the proper meter rates of regular taxis. However, it's hard to get a regular taxi from the Airport (you'd have to tramp outside and over the road)... and even then, the regular taxi drivers will peg you for a foreigner and probably refuse to put the meter on (which is technically illegal).

Some general advice and tips for visiting the Philippines: Philippines Travel Advice | Scuba Diving | Holiday Information

My top tip for accommodation is Howzat Inn, in Makati nr Burgos/Rockwell. 20 minutes from the Airport. It's linked to a great restaurant and sports bar, that's very popular with local Manila expats. Rooms are very clean and have microwave, kettle (rare to get that here), cable TV, air-con, mini-safe, good wifi, and room service from the resto downstairs etc etc.. The deluxe room is only 1350php per night...

howzatinn3.jpg

howzatinn1.jpg

howzatinn2.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom