Japanese Encephalitis Vaccine for Puerto Galera and Anilao?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverjen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I had my travel clinic visit today for vaccines and they suggested I think about a Japanese Encephalitis vaccine based on the CDC guidelines. The three criteria are:
- Visits lasting a month or longer ( I am only going for two weeks)
- Most time spent outdoors ( scuba diving trip so pretty much outside ALOT)
- Rural areas (Are PG and Anilao considered rural?)
Doc seemed indifferent but said think about it and if not to use DEET during mosquito times either way since Dengue is also present. We are going late April/early May.
Thanks!

You have to decide for yourself on medical issue.
No one has told mosquito to stay in the rural area only. They are everywhere.
DEET is probably the best repellent scientifically and there are alternatives if you believe the claim.
I use repellent at all times and avoid staying outdoor if I can help it. One thing that really irritate me is the maid tend to let the door wide open while cleaning the room!!!!

JE vaccines here are very expensive and from what I recall not 100% effective - as Centrals said, your call. I dont see PG as a rural area and didn't find mosquitoes an out of the ordinary problem there. While diving is an outdoor activity ive yet to see any mosquitoes whilst diving. I personally dont bother with JE vaccines or Rabies vaccines even in really remote areas like the Sepik River in Papua New Guinea which is what I consider remote because of the questions around effectiveness.

Sepik River!!!!! That is a good place to meet big and hungry mossie. I thought only mad dogs and Englishman go out in mid day sun but the mossie on Sepik River is also active at that time of the day!! A stupid tourist cruising on a boat is a fair game.

Lol Centrals..I wasnt a stupid tourist cruising on a boat I was doing water quality assessments.

I think Japanese encephalitis is unlikely in PG or anilao, that said it will be around, more with wet season and if you spend more than 2-4 weeks there I might consider. I had it 10 hrs ago as I spent 3 months travelling around Thailand and Borneo and a lot of jungles. I was told then that rural areas with pigs and rivers were high risk. If I had a choice between JE and rabies for ppines I would go rabies. I have done anti rabies work there and there is a lot of it and the vaccine is near 99% effective and given there is not very much rabies immunoglobulin in SE Asia (post tsunami), I would have that. Just in case. But if can afford both, y not have both lol!

I am a magnet to mosquitoes and sand fleas (noseeums). If you want to avoid using DEET, then try this product made in the USA and effective in North America, Central America, the Caribbean, Australia and New Zealand. It is No-See-Um No More and is available at Lita's No-See-Um No More TM Product Information or at Turquoise Bay Resort or Barefoot Cay on Roatan, Honduras.

Back
Top Bottom