Stray electricity hazards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
This started out on one of the other topic forums. Seems that a bunch of guys that like to or are planning on working in marinas don't think Stray Electricity is a problem or concern. I tried to explain about the possible hazards and ended up getting a couple of e-mails requesting that I get a life other than diving because I don't know what I'm talking about. Also mentioned was that modern marinas did not have any electrical issued to concern a diver or swimmer. Even when presented with the proof that there is a problem I can't get through to the gray matter.

SO, I have decided to bring the issue over here where it might be appriciated and maybe put to use. We might not be able to save one of their zapped butts but it may save one of ours.

I hope all the links work.

http://www.mikeholt.com/newsletters.php?action=display&letterID=47&email=

The “National Boating Accident Investigation Field Guide” 8.5, 8.6 and 8.7 covers Stray Current in the water. So much so that they diagram the plans to build a meter to detect it and advise rescue divers not to go into the water until it has been tested.
(I have those plans. Simple and inexpensive.)

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache...y+electricity+deaths&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=3

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache...+Fatalities,+and+PDE&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1

http://www.jamsadr.com/Neutrals/ExpResumes.asp?id=2046

Happy reading.

Gary D.

I am not sure what you are suggesting here exactly......

This sucks but first time I have ever heard of this happening. Maybe it does more than I realize but seems like a horrible incident that could be a rare occurance. Were you trying to tell these guys not to work there because of this?

tjmills:
I am not sure what you are suggesting here exactly......

This sucks but first time I have ever heard of this happening. Maybe it does more than I realize but seems like a horrible incident that could be a rare occurance. Were you trying to tell these guys not to work there because of this?
I was just trying to point out some possible problems with newly certified divers trying to work in marinas. They were talking about doing odd jobs and we were just trying to make them aware of what to watch out for.

A few of us on my team have either been shocked or felt the tingling from broken or worn wires. It doesn't matter how new or old a marina is electrical problems can happen. We train for this but I was just made aware that a meter exists to check the water for Stray current.

It's amazing the amount of people that don't have a clue about this and work around it. It can be a major problem if you don't recgonize it early enough.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
This started out on one of the other topic forums. Seems that a bunch of guys that like to or are planning on working in marinas don't think Stray Electricity is a problem or concern. I tried to explain about the possible hazards and ended up getting a couple of e-mails requesting that I get a life other than diving because I don't know what I'm talking about. Also mentioned was that modern marinas did not have any electrical issued to concern a diver or swimmer. Even when presented with the proof that there is a problem I can't get through to the gray matter.

SO, I have decided to bring the issue over here where it might be appriciated and maybe put to use. We might not be able to save one of their zapped butts but it may save one of ours.

I hope all the links work.

http://www.mikeholt.com/newsletters.php?action=display&letterID=47&email=

The “National Boating Accident Investigation Field Guide” 8.5, 8.6 and 8.7 covers Stray Current in the water. So much so that they diagram the plans to build a meter to detect it and advise rescue divers not to go into the water until it has been tested.
(I have those plans. Simple and inexpensive.)

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache...y+electricity+deaths&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=3

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache...+Fatalities,+and+PDE&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1

http://www.jamsadr.com/Neutrals/ExpResumes.asp?id=2046

Happy reading.

Gary D.
gary, i was on that thread with you guys last night, just so you know you DID get through to one person at least ME what you said sent chills of warning to me as i was recently in monterey and came back from working as a DM on a boat when i was approched and asked to go down and clean the speed control device on the bottom of a boat for a guy, he offered me $40 dollars to do it so without a second thought, you guessed it i jumped in and did the job!! i never thought of entanglments or even worse electric current and there are a lot of boats of all kinds in that area , and mainly large yachts and house boats, and well there is also the main electric conduet running right down the side of the dock. never even considered any of it, wont do it again after reading what you posted,$40 isnt worth anything to me and not my life. you got through to one person so your efforts wernt a waste!!!!:wink:

It is easy and pretty quick to test and see if there is a problem or not.

I see more boats and marinas wired wrong than right so the risk is real and serious. That is even before you get into the issue of maintenance or lack thereof.

Some people will only believe the problem is real once they have been bitten. Let us hope they live to learn from the experience.

So Gary, as you know, we dive under and around the marinas of Lake CDA all the time. How dangerous do you think that is (in the area of electrical current)?

Rick Inman:
So Gary, as you know, we dive under and around the marinas of Lake CDA all the time. How dangerous do you think that is (in the area of electrical current)?
We need to get together for a training session, say, the White House. :D

There is a danger because of the poor haphazard maintenance. It’s the same with all local marina properties. Let’s make it look good but cut corners everywhere you can. It doesn’t matter how fancy or first class they look it’s what’s under the docks that count.

Have you noticed how many just standard 12-3 house wires and hanging in big loops in the water? That’s where PART of the problem lies.

I have been at least tingled under both of the north end marinas, where you dive. :D Where I’m at is a lot better but far from good.

Most of those big wire loops have nothing to do with marina movement. The installers were just too lazy to cut off the excess and route it properly. Out of site, out of mind.

Some of the loops that are for marina movement are tied up in water and cable TV lines so each time the dock moves the wires rub on something. They can only take so much of the before a problem surfaces.

I noticed one slip at the Resort where someone pulled the wires out from under the logs to make a step for getting out of the water. Rocket Scientist at their finest.

There is a big threat so it’s best to go slow and keep your eyes open. It’s not just the marinas. Boats just sitting out there drifting or at anchor can be just as big, if not a bigger threat for stray current. Anytime we play, swim or dive around boats a potential danger exists. We just keep playing the odds and hope we don't win that lottery.

Gary D.

Thanks to James Croft here is the best explaination I have seen. It's a reprint from another thread.

I am a graduate of the Underwriter's Labratory Advanced Boat Accident Investigation School. Marina related electrocutions were covered in depth. They happen all the time. My agency has investigated deaths caused to swimmers caused by shore power running to boats. Improper wiring, exposed wires or even a malfunction caused by a 12 volt DC battery charger attached to a boats battery can cause AC electrocution if a transformer fails. This causes AC current to gound to the river bottom by traveling through the motor outdrive. This current travels downward in a cone shaped pattern. You can enter that cone and be paralyzed and drown. This current may be intermittent and may only leak out when certain appliances are activated, such as when a refrigerator compressor comes on. Never dive around shore power, generators, etc. Lock out electrical power. Test the water with a multi-tester with long wire leads to detect voltage and then say "there ain't enough money in the world to dive in this $**T" .

FYI there is a UL book written by Kirstein, Loeser, and Morey that is an excellent reference for dive teams called Boating Accident Investigation. It was written under a grant from the US Coast Guard and may be reprinted or copied. As I recall it may show you how to fashion a multi-tester to detect current. You just need to beware that current may be intermittent. Kinda like how your car stops making that funny grinding noise when you pull up to have it looked at by a mechanic. The UL adress is : Engineering Services
Marine Group
12 Labratory Dr.
P.O. Box 13995
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709-3995
(919) 549-1691, Fax (919) 549-1842

Thanks again JC;

Gary D.

Consider me educated. Would not have even considered such a possibility. Have gone over the side in a marina to retrieve guests keys more than once. Why do people insist on handling keys as they get on or off a boat???? Put them in you pocket you won't need them until you get to your car up in the parking lot???

Anyway good thread.

Gary D.:
We need to get together for a training session, say, the White House. :D
Yes, yes. I need massive training!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom