Can NITROX Harm you.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5a6eeb

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I want to know why enter nitrox people tell me its more harmful than air it can cause collapsing lungs oxygen toxicity....?:confused:

What do I reply to people who tell me these types of things.. to convince them so I can enter this course...

Please help.....

Collapsing lungs?

tell them that one of the benefits of taking the course is how to use nitrox safely and to dispel the myths. I can only guess they are talking about diving a nitrox mix deeper than it's MOD or Maximum Operating Depth. Another beneficial learning experience during the course will be how to calculate the MOD for each mix and safely use it.

Yes collapsing lungs something like this.... its OK to just reply to oxygen toxicity if you don't know collapsing lungs please..

Thanks

Collapsing lungs.....no.

O2 tox.....yes, but your nitrox class will show you how to mitigate that risk, which honestly you can still suffer O2 tox on air....you just have to try harder.

Thanks Seacobra..

---------- Post added February 22nd, 2014 at 04:49 PM ----------

Thanks tomfcrist...

Nitrox does have the capability of Oxygen toxicity on 2 fronts. 1. Neurological (most common)- caused by breathing high partial pressures of Oxygen for extended periods of time. That is why divers on Nitrox are limited to depths & time on what is called the "Oxygen clock". By careful planning & execution of the dives & monitoring the Oxygen dose a diver receives, the risk can be minimized. The other form of Oxygen toxicity is respiratory. Not commonly seen in divers because most divers are not exposed to elevated partial pressures of Oxygen for extended periods of time. Respiratory toxicity is seen more often in patients with respiratory issues like COPD, emphysema,... conditions in which the body can not get enough Oxygen to function. Respiratory Oxygen toxicity reduces the vitality (Oxygen absorption) of the lungs. Basically it is seen in people who are on elevated oxygen levels on a constant basis.

To keep things from getting too complicated, I do explain the risks, but also bring up the positive sides of increased bottom time for enjoyment or increased safety by using the Nitrox the same as air for lower Nitrogen levels after the dives.

It can when mixed with large doses of alcohol. I'm kidding.

(Couldn't resist a sarcastic response)

I want to know why enter nitrox people tell me its more harmful than air it can cause collapsing lungs oxygen toxicity....?:confused:

What do I reply to people who tell me these types of things.. to convince them so I can enter this course...

Please help.....

I think I understand what you're saying. I'll try to be clear but I think English is not your first language so if you don't understand something, please ask.

Yes, LONG exposure to HIGH levels of Oxygen can cause irritation in your lungs. It causes a cough that feels like a cold. With enough exposure, the lungs can be damaged and the cough can become chronic (meaning it never stops). There are good examples of such damage among divers. Mark Ellyatt is one example of a diver with permanent damage to his lungs and a permanent cough due to Oxygen exposure. There are others as well.

HOWEVER. What is very important to understand is that by using Nitrox for normal sport diving, this risk is almost non-existent. The divers who have this issue are making extreme dives. Very deep, very long, and well beyond the boundaries of normal sport diving.

Normal (sport) divers who use Nitrox never have these kinds of damage to their lungs.

Does that help?

R..

It can when mixed with large doses of alcohol. I'm kidding.

(Couldn't resist a sarcastic response)
even when breathing 21% Nitrox.

Back
Top Bottom