LeisurePro vs. LDS - reg unassembled?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Addict

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, I am considering buying 2 complete sets of diving gear from leisurepro:

2x AquaLung Titan LX regs
2x AquaLung Low profile octos
1x SeaQuest Pro QD + BC
1x SeaQuest Diva LX BC
2x Suunto Vyper Computer Consoles.

My LDS told me that if I am considering buying online, to consider how much it will cost to have the stuff assembled. Being a new diver, I didn't realize that anything was that difficult to assemble.

They say plan on an extra $77.00-144.00/ for each set - to take it to them to assemble. Is there truely something that needs to be assembled by the DS that I can't do?

Plus they charge $48-60/each for 'yearly' maintenance. Is this a reasonable price?

Thanks for your help!

Addict

Addict once bubbled...
...Plus they charge $48-60/each for 'yearly' maintenance...
Addict

Ask the LDS how annual maintenance is if you buy from them. Probably still $48-60/year. Yearly maintenance isn't covered under warranty, Although several companies offer free parts ($5-15).

Jarhead

Addict once bubbled...
My LDS told me that if I am considering buying online, to consider how much it will cost to have the stuff assembled. Being a new diver, I didn't realize that anything was that difficult to assemble.

That's crazy. The only "assembling" you might have to do is to attach the second stages and computer to the first stage. This is very, very easy. It consists of unscrewing a plug and screwing in a hose instead.

I'd find an LDS I could trust. These guys are trying to scare you.

Sooo... There is really "No assembly required" for any of that gear (Other then screwing in the hoses)?

I was given the impression that it came in several pieces that needed to be assembled 'in a shop' & by a professional.:fire:

Interesting... attempts to scare the naive diver can screw your business in the end. Why even attempt it?

to bite you.

Then find another LDS for your service business, or even better, learn how to fix your own regs and buy the parts from DiveInn or another supplier.

Its not hard.

As for assembly, it involves removing a couple of plugs and screwing in the hoses to those now-open ports. I have set up a couple of friend's regs that came from LP and the "assembly" took all of about 10 minutes.

Note that you DO NOT need to tighten down the connections very much - the seal is made by an O-ring, NOT by the tightening pressure. You do need to tighten them up enough so they don't come loose during normal use, but that's it - don't overtorque the hose connections.

Check your work in a pool before going somewhere where you can't stand up or swim to the surface if something goes wrong.

I hate people who make false statements in an attempt to "win" business. In my mind its theft and you ought to publish the name of this "shop" so we can all avoid them.

We divers really need to start a "boycott" list of shops that promulgate this kind of nonsense and show them that word WILL get around, and business WILL go elsewhere. Its high time that divers stop being fleeced by scare tactics.

If you can't sell your product and service honestly then you shouldn't be in business - period.

$20/stage labor for teardown and rebuild (plus parts)
$20 to bench test a rig
reasonable and typical here (San Francisco)

How much to assemble four hoses again?
Find a dive shop with a reputable service department...

Service Prices

Regulator First and Second Stage $29.95
Octopus Second Stage $6.95
BCD Complete $9.50

Plus parts not covered under warranty

Jarhead

I wouldn't bother to post the name of the shop so they can be boycotted. They failed to offer a competitive price, as most of us are and effectively already being boycotted. we have proven here that you don't need them for the purchase or the service. Leave them alone to die a less painfull death. JMO

gets you a painless death.

Attempting to scare someone half to death to get them to buy from you, or even worse, trying to sell 5 minutes of your time for $100 as a way to "punish" someone who buys online, deserves a very painful commercial death.

I'd post the shop's name if it happened to me.

I have a question about LP... if I do order a reg set, octo, and computer from them - does it come oxygen cleaned for nitrox use or will I have to get it done at and LDS?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom