Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7' hose is hard to breath off of, anyway to reduce the effort required?

Registered

Has not set a "status"

7' hose is hard to breath off of, anyway to reduce the effort required?

I was using it for 12 or more dives, but it just feels like your not getting enough air out of it. At 80' it felt like an elephant was standing on my chest.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Hmmmm

You should not feel a difference. I would have the reg looked at.

WW

Swims with Orca

Happy Happy Joy Joy

Photos

well...

jonscubas once bubbled...
    I was using it for 12 or more dives, but it just feels like your not getting enough air out of it. At 80' it felt like an elephant was standing on my chest.
    You need to make an appointment with a cardiologist ASAP.

The long hose provides a reservoir of intermediate pressure gas and should actually make the reg breath easier.

"elephant on the chest" is the classic description of a myocardial infarct... unless of course you are a circus performer and have had a falling out with your pachyderm.

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

[QUOTE][i]Uncle Pug once bubbled... [/i][B]...

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

The long hose provides a reservoir of intermediate pressure gas and should actually make the reg breath easier.

"elephant on the chest" is the classic description of a myocardial infarct... unless of course you are a circus performer and have had a falling out with your pachyderm.
    GOOD ONE Uncle Pug!!!!
    diveaustin
    BETWEEN THE IDEA AND THE ACTION LIES THE SHADOW.....TS ELLIOT

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Interesting comments, but I've read posts here with others saying the same thing

Well, being out of shape can be part of it I think.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Photos

I have noticed that regulator with the six fo...

I have noticed that regulator with the six foot hose breaths slightly harder than the backup with a 24” hose. I switched the second stages to confirm that was not the issue. The long hose is attached to the ½” MP port but I would think that that would make it breath easier.

Should the second stage be readjusted after the long hose is installed?

Wouldn’t this only be true if the reservoir of air exceeded the volume of air required to fill your lungs? After that it seems a simple matter of the air flow resistance of the longer hose being greater than the shorter.

Mike

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Then again if you are gonna go, what better p...

Then again if you are gonna go, what better place? Is there a hand signal for MI's? Last time I was in the water was with a guy in cardiac arrest now that I think of it... Had to drag his ass to shore, but that was not scuba related...just rambling and quickly getting off topic...
    The Stupid Shall be Punished!!!

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

Out of those 12 or so dives how often was he ...

Out of those 12 or so dives how often was he at 80+ feet? More than once? Did he feel the chest discomfort every time at this depth? Once is to much as UP says. Or was he maybe streching it for effect? A reg problem that causes you to force on inhalation could possibly cause some discomfort but not a crushing feeling. I think we need more details.

Good Times.
    diveaustin
    BETWEEN THE IDEA AND THE ACTION LIES THE SHADOW.....TS ELLIOT

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Was it a short of breath tightness in the c...

Was it a short of breath tightness in the chest like you could not get enough air, or a retrosternal pain/ache that was causing you to not be able to expand your lungs fully, hence becomming short of breath? Did it ease up with depth? Anything associated with this feeling (other symptoms)? Quick or slow onset? Was there pain anywhere? If so what did it feel like? Any past medical problems? Just a few questions to help understand where this feeling might come from.
    The Stupid Shall be Punished!!!

Scuba Instructor

Chill'n

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos

I have heard of this problem before

In fact, if you would like I'll give you $5.00 for the hose as well as a new 29" black or 36" yellow hose. Just so you don't have any problems ; )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast