Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Apeks DST (XTX50) 1st Stage 5th Port Conversion

DIR Practitioner

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499

Apeks DST (XTX50) 1st Stage 5th Port Conversion

I've read from many people that have converted their Apeks DST's to the 5th port using some conversion kit their dealer can get for them.

I just ask multiple LDS (Apeks dealers) in the USA and they all state their AqualLung rep has no clue what they're talking about.

So my question is this: how does one upgradet their DST's to include the 5th port (in the States) and still expect it to be servicable at the annual/bi-annual warranty obligations?

Divemaster
    Badge

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    I just upgraded two older DST's to use the 5th port. My LDS ordered it directly from their Apeks/AqualLung supplier. No issue. The LDS didn't know what it was but got on the phone to the supplier, said '5th port' and had the part# 15 seconds later (AP0274).

Comes with a full kit for install, including all o-rings and a new HP seat.

Not sure what their Aqualung vendor's are having issues with but with the part number you should be good to go...

DIR Practitioner

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    I brought the part# to multiple LDS that I had asked yesterday about. They each told me that yesterday the dealers said they had no clue what I was talking about, and with or without a part number, they're not going to waste their time asking again. What a F'n industry we live in.

<Edit> I just spoke with AquaLung America directly, it is not an Apeks part they distribute in the US and cannot get it to me, and if I obtain one and install it, my warranty (free parts) will be voided.

I think I'm going to sell my two Apeks regs and replace them with identicle looking HOG's (that have the 5th port). Many of my dive buds use them and are very happy.

Thanks for providing the part number, tho.</Edit>

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Quote Originally Posted by leabre View Post
    I brought the part# to multiple LDS that I had asked yesterday about. They each told me that yesterday the dealers said they had no clue what I was talking about, and with or without a part number, they're not going to waste their time asking again. What a F'n industry we live in.

<Edit> I just spoke with AquaLung America directly, it is not an Apeks part they distribute in the US and cannot get it to me, and if I obtain one and install it, my warranty (free parts) will be voided.

I think I'm going to sell my two Apeks regs and replace them with identicle looking HOG's (that have the 5th port). Many of my dive buds use them and are very happy.

Thanks for providing the part number, tho.</Edit>
    That's unbelievable isn't it! But then, it's that sort of attitude that after years of using Apeks regs, I no longer recommend them, & like you, if I need more regs they'll be Hogs, or Zeagle, or....... I just wish they'd stop buying companies I just bought gear off.

DIR Practitioner

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Quote Originally Posted by Kern View Post
    That's unbelievable isn't it! But then, it's that sort of attitude that after years of using Apeks regs, I no longer recommend them, & like you, if I need more regs they'll be Hogs, or Zeagle, or....... I just wish they'd stop buying companies I just bought gear off.
    Yeah, they said that not only if I did manage to upgrade it & I'm okay with voiding my warranty, any authorized dealer (in the states) may not be able to get any (if any) additional parts to service the addtional port and may not even touch it since they hadn't any authorized training on it.

They just bought Whites, too. I'm so glad I got the drysuit (from Mike at DRIS) before they decide to "harmonize" their online sales & discounts policy.

The Apeks DST regs are awesome, but they are terribly difficult for me to route on one of my sets of doubles so the 5th port would help tremendously. I ordered a set of HOGS and I'll eventually be offloading my Apeks & SP (they are too damned difficult to service if I don't have all my paper work in order and many shops near me refuse to service them if I didn't purchase from them to begin with).

Oh well, par for the course.

DIR Practitioner

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Update: I received a phone call from an LDS who said that AquaLung expects to begin carrying the part within 90 days or so (but is not firmly committed to a date). If that's the case, I'll hold off and convert.

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    service your regs yourself, the warranty is a joke anyways.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    Does anyone have any pictures of hose routing for a twin set using the 5th port? I am upgrading mine and am looking for the best DIR setup you people have tried... Thanks
    Craig Werger
    Ban's Technical Diving
    Koh Tao, Thailand
    www.banstec.com

ScubaBoard Supporter

Sunburnt and wind swept

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Here's the DST with 5th port on doubles:

Apeks Deepstop DIR SET XTX 50 5 Port

The 5th port allows hose routing very similar to Scubapro MK10 with very little - if any - bends in the hoses. Very slick. I can use a 24" hose on my back-up with those regs. With my Tek3 regs I need a 28" hose on the back-up.

I bought the Tek3 regs and really like the hose routing and how the sealed balance chamber is *not* partly shielding access to the valves:

http://www.deepstop.de/apeks-twin-p-670.html

Henrik
    Trust is good ... Control is better.

"She trusts me with her life, but not with her donuts ..."

"DNY isn't what you'd call a "warm and fuzzy" kind of love." Mike Parz

Avoid http://www.islamarisolresort.com http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...tml#UR66765152

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Quote Originally Posted by leabre View Post
    Yeah, they said that not only if I did manage to upgrade it & I'm okay with voiding my warranty, any authorized dealer (in the states) may not be able to get any (if any) additional parts to service the addtional port and may not even touch it since they hadn't any authorized training on it.
    Wow, that's quite a line. Whoever told you that is the Michael Jordan of B.S.

No training to service an additional LP port...good one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast