Travel Reg: Apeks Flight vs. Aqualung Micron

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

willy_b

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
any thoughts/experience on these travel regs? tend towards apeks flights (extra HP port, ease of breathing?), but wonder of price premium over aqualung micron is justified. Thanks for your input!

The Flight is a little lighter but uses a nonstandard LP hose fitting. The Micron is the same first stage as the Titan LX and can be made into a colder water reg with the addition of the environmental seal. The big advantage to the Flight ands Micron is the Miflex hoses.

I would guess that you would be very hard pressed to tell the difference in breathing.

The difference in size and weight is negligible in checked luggage or carry-on if you use LP Miflex hoses.

thanks, claymore! The LP Miflex hose is standard hose between 1st and 2nd stage, or are you talking about the BCD inflator hose?

Primary, Octo & inflator. They are so light and flexible that for travel they are almost indispensable. I'm playing with the idea of trying the HP hose also, it's about as thick as a pencil.

can't offer a comparison, but I looked at the two and chose the apex flight as it was slightly lighter, and not a massive significant price difference over here anyway, and then the mikron went out of stock at the shop and made the decision easy! Just took it away for a week to Malta and it was brilliant, lovely to breathe and just so light. I'd definitely recommend it.

I have heard the debate about the non standard hose fitting, meaning that if it busts you have to have a spare special apeks hose rather than just any hose, but also the argument that the hose isn't about to give out overnight anyway....

I know a number of people who have Microns, including 3 full-time divemasters who put 300-500 warm water dives a year on theirs. These 3 regs have gone a year or more between services, and have been trouble free. I did a dive with one of these regs last summer, and other than the bubble interference (true of any small second stage) which I was not used to, it was a positive experience.

The Flight has been on the market for a much shorter time, and I have no personal experience with it.

While I have no hesitation about recommending the Micron, I would like to see a bit more "time in the saddle" for the Flight.

Micron without a doubt. The Apeks Flight needs a couple of special tools. That may not be important to you, but if I had a problem in timbuktoo and the only techincian around is non Apeks Flight trained you may be up the creek.

The micron is much simpler and is very similar to a basic balanced 2nd stage that they reduced the size.

Just my 2cents worth,
Jim

thanks your all your advice! Just ordered me a Mikron, and can't wait to try it out in a few weeks in the Caribbean.

I doubt you can tell the difference in equally tuned regs however the special hose is a deal buster for me. The last thing you want is something no one can get even simple parts like hoses for, esp on a travel reg.

just got back from diving Caribbean with my Aqualung Mikron. Great regulator, easy breather and sooo much smaller compared to full sized 2nd stages. only minor issue, it is really sensitive to free flow when value adjustment knob is fully opened outside the water. anybody with similar experience?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom