Buying New Reg: How to factor in Service Costs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't believe any manufacture recommends a less frequent servicing period for their titanium regs than their brass/chrome regs, but I could be wrong.

Atomic specifies a 3 year service interval for their titanium regs, in contrast to service every 2 years for the rest of their regulator product line. If you follow that service regimen it will probably still be at least a couple decades before reaping any cost savings.

I am a devoted Posiedon diver. You ever hear the advise about asking how much a tattoo costs? Poseidon is expensive, but under the ice I trust them over all other. They have an anti-freeze ice kit for the 1st stage. Not a rec diver much anymore, and my experience with Poseidon has been exceptionable. The cost of the service seems to be about $75-125. This bit of kit is critical, I'm not going to sweat the cost of feeling safe...ymmv

The shop owner of course want to sell you the Atomic T3. Buying titanium vs brass, it will never pay for itself. Think about it, reg service cost like what, $150, even in SF bay area? 3 vs 2 year service interval, you save $25/year. ($150/3 year vs $150 per 2 years). Atomic Z2 can be had for $600 vs T3 for $2000? To save $1400, you need to dive the same reg for 56 years. The fact is, if getting the best return of the $ in atomic family, get Z2 and call it done. But I get that not everyone spend money based on practicality

Titanium regs are worth it if you are trying to shave ounces off your kit. If you are flying puddle jumpers, saving ounces here and there adds up to pounds and this can make a difference. But doing so isn't about saving $$$, even in the long term. it is about convenience. While I also have neck and back issues, I don't find saving ounces here and there to be worth it, as I use rolling bags for my heaviest stuff, and lightest stuff in my backpack. However, I'm not traveling a lot in puddle jumpers where saving ounces is important.

There are always tradeoffs. You made it clear that you are not interested in self service, so talking to a dive shop (doesn't have to be an LDS, I recommend mailing regs to a place with competent service techs, as shipping is fast, inexpensive, and you take one trip to the Post Office using the machine at any time versus driving twice to the dive shop during hours when they are open - I live in Seattle and traffic is a grind. You are in the Bay Area where traffic is even worse. Though depending on where you live, a dive shop may be more convenient than the Post Office).

This may not be good advice, as my situation/priorities may be dramatically different than yours.

Just rent
An acquaintance of mine rented a reg and inhaled flakes of vomit due to the service tech not cleaning out the reg sufficiently after a hungover guy threw up in the same reg the previous day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom