Apeks regs not serviced for 8 years

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christozs

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I am in a huge dillema and i need your experience!

I have a DST XTX50 XTX40 setup already and i am super happy with it.

My missus just got her OW and we were looking for a used regulator set. I found a person that sells two XTX200 1st and 2nd stage. They have 10 dives but last service was in 2015. They are sold for around $300

My thought is servicing them and we can both have an XTX200 for primary and then one can have the XTX50 and the other the XTX40 for Octo. (and then we have a spare 1st stage)

Do you think it's risky buying such an old reg set?
Maybe too expensive with the service cost?
An overkill?
Is there anything specific i should check?

I am going tomorrow to check them, so your feedback is very valuable! 😊

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230911-130452.png
    Screenshot_20230911-130452.png
    869.5 KB · Views: 105
  • Screenshot_20230911-130439.png
    Screenshot_20230911-130439.png
    826.7 KB · Views: 100
Hi all,

I am in a huge dillema and i need your experience!

I have a DST XTX50 XTX40 setup already and i am super happy with it.

My missus just got her OW and we were looking for a used regulator set. I found a person that sells two XTX200 1st and 2nd stage. They have 10 dives but last service was in 2015. They are sold for around $300

My thought is servicing them and we can both have an XTX200 for primary and then one can have the XTX50 and the other the XTX40 for Octo. (and then we have a spare 1st stage)

Do you think it's risky buying such an old reg set?
Maybe too expensive with the service cost?
An overkill?
Is there anything specific i should check?

I am going tomorrow to check them, so your feedback is very valuable! 😊
Grab them, service them, switch up seconds as you suggest, and you have a great set of regs... I have six DS4/XTX 50 and one DS4/XTX 40 and they're bombproof.

Twin kit for 10 dives (XTX200) priced at 300.
Even after global service (which can be 200-250) a very attractive purchase

Yeah, that's where my "Where is the catch?" questions came up. I thought maybe after so many years of being unserviced and stored they may be non fixable. Or maybe there are specific things i should check before buying them.

good opportunity to learn how to service your own regs.

Shouldn't i get a course for that? I would be very interested in that, but i don't know if it's worth the risk.
Maybe the spare FSR i will have could be my toy 😅

Yeah, that's where my "Where is the catch?" questions came up. I thought maybe after so many years of being unserviced and stored they may be non fixable. Or maybe there are specific things i should check before buying them.

Shouldn't i get a course for that? I would be very interested in that, but i don't know if it's worth the risk.
Very rare to be beyond repair, unless butchered by some dolt.

Doing a course is a good idea, if you can get into one; as most require you to work for a dive shop.
Alternatively, perhaps you know someone with experience who might mentor you. It's not difficult, but must be done correctly.

I've bought a bunch of used Apeks regs, and serviced all of them myself after taking @rsingler 's 22-hour virtual service course. Some of the regs I bought had been sitting for 15+ years without being used, let alone serviced. A few of the second stages required replacing a couple of extra parts that aren't in the service kit (2nd stage diaphragm, exhaust valve), but we're talking a few euros of parts.

So many videos on youtube. start with something simple. But like I've said before on the forums, if you can put together an Ikea dresser after a bottle of wine, you are more than qualified to work on your own regs.

Back
Top Bottom