Help me build the best set up with the stuff i have.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaops

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
first of all i want to thank everyone on here this is an awesome site with great people on it.

im trying to peace together the best to worst setup from the 4 sets i have.

i have a U.S. Divers Conshelf first stage with Conshelf 22 second stage and octo,

cf708d98.jpg

a sherwood first stage with pat no.4226 257 which i think is eather a magnum2 or magnum with oasis2 2nd stage and octo

1b6cf023.jpg

a Calypso first stage with a aqua lung micra adj.

4182e86b.jpg

and a aqua-lung aquarius 1st stage and aquarius 2nd stage

9bf93343.jpg

I might exchange the Micro second with the Conshelf just because I like adjustable seconds but otherwise I would leave them as is and in they order, best to worst.

thanks herman i was thinking the same thing

Ditto on the swaping out the Micra. I dove my Conshelf 22 for years and have just handed it down to our son to use.

The Conshelf first is about as good a first stage as you will get so don't think because it's older that somehow you are using a poor performing reg. If you want to upgrade the second stage, you might want to consider buying a HOG second stage.
I guess you know the Sherwood is susposed to leak a small stream of bubbles out of one port- either a rubber plug or a hex screw with a rubber ring around it. That is part of the dry seal system. Sherwood is the only reg I know of that needs service if it does not leak. :) The old Sherwoods might not be the best performers but they are solid and rarely give problems. I would keep then as a backup reg or as a loaner.

The Calypso and Aquaruis are OK, not high performance regs by any means but still, they will keep on working and are easy to fix. They would be good choices as first regs if you want to learn reg service.

thanks for all the input and info guys. ill do the conshelf 1st, micra 2nd conshelf 22 octo for me then the sherwood 1st conshelf 22 2nd and sherwood octo for my girl then the Calypso 1st sherwood 2nd with the aquarius 2nd stage as the octo for a loaner.

i have pull most of them all apart and checked everything only 1 bad low pressure seal so far still have to pull apart the Calypso 1st stage i have to make a tool to open it and have to open the conshelf 1st stage.

Getting the Conshelf first stage back together can be a bit challanging unless you have a HP stage assembly tool.. It can be done but it's a pain to do.

A different opinion here. I would not use the micra. I have never been impressed with it. If staying with the USD, I would go conshelf (first photo) all the way. That said, I am a big fan of the 80s - early 90s Sherwoods. I do not like the new models. My favorite is the Oasis+ circa late 80s. This looks like an Oasis 2. It is also a nice reg that I have found to be very reliable. My suggestion, dive the Conshelf on a couple of dives. Dive the Sherwood on the same dives/profiles for a couple of dives. I think you will find your answer. I have quite a number of dives on both of these set-ups. I lean towards the Sherwood (performance at depth and less dry mouth). Both are good regs. Neither is a bad choice.

I would probably put the Aquarius second stage on the Conshelf second and be happy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom