How to Identify ScubaPro Regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zen1300

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
These were part of an estate sale that my folks attended and came with an orange ScubaPro Stabilization Jacket from the 80s. I don't think it qualifies as Vintage, so didn't post this there.

From what I can find online, I think this is a Mark V, but not sure. It has two HPs and 4 LPs.

The second stages appear to just be standard with adjustment knobs. There is corrosion on these (blueish grit) that I believe will come off with a vinegar dip and a little work.

Not sure if these would be worth the time to clean up and the cost to get serviced or not.

Any thoughts?

DSC_0083.jpg

DSC_0090.jpg

DSC_0088.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0086.jpg
    DSC_0086.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 274
  • DSC_0085.jpg
    DSC_0085.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 326
The first stage is a MK10, the seconds are a 156 (Balanced Adjustable) and possibly a 109 (Adjustable). They are extremely dangerous and you should send them to me immediately for proper disposal. :D

Do a search with the keywords above and you'll find a megaton of info, here and in the DIY & Vintage section. They're definitely worth reviving: I currently own 4 sets and (arguably) consider them as close seconds to my main MK20/G250 rigs. These guys actually got me into DIY regulator servicing!

Check out couv's concours conditions set, and awap's work of art.

Thanks. I just found some more info in a box of stuff. Next to a PADI Wheel, I found the "Technical Manual For Scubapro Regulators." It's Copyrights 1978 and covers four models - Pilot-Audio, Pilot, Mark VII, Mark V, and Mark III. Only Mark V from this matches what I have - balanced, swivel connections, adjustable 2nd Stage. There is a Warranty Card effective January 1, 1982, and on the reverse of the card it explains the S.P.E.C. (Silicone Protected Environmental Cap). An "ATTENTION" card that was apparently attached to the regulator describes it's new "super sensitive diaphragm assembly."

I was incorrect on the number of LPs, there is one on the end that I just didn't think to count.

I also just found this site. From Scubapro Regulator Museum Ican see how this can either be a fourth generation MK5 or a first generation MK10. The ScubaPro Regulator Museum talks about the ambient port location as the way to tell the difference. The ambient ports are located on the same portion of the regulator as the HPs. I believe the Piston Cap is the section between the HPs and the LPs...

So I suppose I would agree with your assessment of the model - not the I doubted you.

A surefire way to tell the MK5 from the MK10 is the location of the ambient ports: in the MK5, they're in the middle part of the body, in the MK10, they're in the lower part, where the yoke is.

If you have access to a scanner, you'll be doing us a great service by posting the "Technical Manual For Scubapro Regulators." here.

Have fun!

Very nice.
As Zung correctly identified:
Mk10 with my favorite 2nd stage the Balanced Adjustable.
I also prefer the Mk10 to the 20/25 as it has less parts and I find it simpler and quicker to service.
100% spend the time to clean and adjust (service as necessary).
You'll have a cool set that stands up to anything available today

Very Cool. My father paid $20 for the regs, the Scubapro Stab Jacket and a bunch of other non scuba stuff. He will be happy to hear about it. He loves the bargain and the rare find.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the manual. I'll try to shrink it and post it this weekend.

I shrunk it from 25mb (original scan) to just under 2mb. give it a shot ;-)

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom