Best Alternate Air for this Rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USVet96

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey everyone. I am putting together a rig to be used for recreational diving and used just for recreational purposes. I want to eliminate a hose and use an alternate air source. Based on this rig's setup, and your expeiences (and preferences), which Alt air would you suggest.

BC - Sherwood Tortuga
Reg - Sherwood SR1
CPU - VT4 w/ wireless transmitter
(Suunto D4 - Backup)

Was thinking of going with the Sherwood Gemini but I have seen as many BAD reviews as GOOD reviews and I have no experience with it myself.

Thank You

Note: The Suunto D4 is FOR SALE

Everything else is Sherwood, would probably make sense to keep it the same from a service point of view.

That was my initial thinking, however with some of the reviews I have read about the free flow problems with the Sherwood Gemini after about a dozen dives or so I am a tad bit hesitant

If anyone has, or has used, or has any experience with the Sherwood Gemini, I would be very thankful for your words

Thanks

I can't comment on your choice of regs, but could I suggest you consider a long hose for the primary (at least 42 inches) and a flexible braided hose for the alternate inflator? First set up your kit with the tank/back pack/BC/ regs/ etc in place. Then measure the length of hose you need to accommodate your alternate/inflator and order the length that best fits.

http://northeastscubasupply.com/store/index.php?searchStr=hose&_a=viewCat&Submit=Go

Couv

Edit: I suggest getting a second stage hose with a screw on fitting for your inflator. There are a few advantages in doing it this way. For one thing, l/p second stage hoses come in a large variety of lengths making routing much simpler. Additionally, if the hose becomes defective one only needs to change it out.

USVet96, I have used a Gemini for about 3 years now, never been serviced, never free flowed, breaths as good as my primary. I have had absolutely no issues. It is the only piece of Sherwood equipment I have ever owned! I think, in general, people are more likely to post when they have a problem, and if something just works there is no need to report it?

From my previous readings the free flow problem has been fixed and was a problem with earlier models. A call or email to sherwood could confirm this for you.

I also would have to agree that since your equipment is sherwood keeping the alternate air sherwood too is a wise choice for service reasons.

That was my initial thinking, however with some of the reviews I have read about the free flow problems with the Sherwood Gemini after about a dozen dives or so I am a tad bit hesitant

If anyone has, or has used, or has any experience with the Sherwood Gemini, I would be very thankful for your words

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom