BTS HOG reg repair class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aqua-Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
DiveRightInScuba is holding a HOG reg repair class at Beneath The Sea in NJ. So far there are three people signed up for the class, the minimum for the class is six. I know there are a lot of people that said they wanted to take the class but when it comes to putting up the money people tend to disappear. This in not a money maker for the people running it and six people are needed to break even, if these classes don't start filling up I was told By Mike at DRIS that they may not do them any more. I'm sure it takes some time planning the classes and making all the arrangements (which takes time away from the customers that are actually making him money) just to have to cancel due to lack of interest. The HOG reg repair class is what everyone (well maybe not everyone but I know it's a lot)has been asking for, so let's get some more people signed up and make it worth while to run these classes. I for one have been asking for the class and want to take it, it's not like it is next door to me. I'm going to have a five hour drive each way to attend , I know there have to be people closer than I am that want to take it. If you don't take the class now you may not have a chance to in the future and the only person to blame is your self.

DiveRightInScuba is holding a HOG reg repair class at Beneath The Sea in NJ. So far there are three people signed up for the class, the minimum for the class is six. I know there are a lot of people that said they wanted to take the class but when it comes to putting up the money people tend to disappear. This in not a money maker for the people running it and six people are needed to break even, if these classes don't start filling up I was told By Mike at DRIS that they may not do them any more. I'm sure it takes some time planning the classes and making all the arrangements (which takes time away from the customers that are actually making him money) just to have to cancel due to lack of interest. The HOG reg repair class is what everyone (well maybe not everyone but I know it's a lot)has been asking for, so let's get some more people signed up and make it worth while to run these classes. I for one have been asking for the class and want to take it, it's not like it is next door to me. I'm going to have a five hour drive each way to attend , I know there have to be people closer than I am that want to take it. If you don't take the class now you may not have a chance to in the future and the only person to blame is your self.

Aqua-Andy, I think that the Tech Certificate requirement that is manditory for the class is preventing many of those divers that you talk about to sign up.
Maybe if that requirement was lifted, more of those divers (tech and recriational) would sign up........just sayin'......

Take care.

Aqua-Andy, I think that the Tech Certificate requirement that is manditory for the class is preventing many of those divers that you talk about to sign up.
Maybe if that requirement was lifted, more of those divers (tech and recriational) would sign up........just sayin'......

Take care.

You need to purchase books, tools, regs, repair parts for the class, just think of a tech cert as one of those tools you have to purchase for the class. No one has been complaining about the other costs associated with the class except for the tech cert. Tale an intro to tech class or some other entry level tech course you just might come out a better diver and maybe make some more dive buddies while you are at it. I don't want this to turn out like the other thread, so please don't continue arguing the tech cert we have been there done that. There are many people that qualify for the class and have asked for it but are not taking it.

There is no need for hundreds of dollars of tools or any tech cert in order to DIY on a regulator. It is not all that complicated. A simple IP gauge and a few tools and some basic knowledge would take care of most regulator repairs. We have schematics and reg repair info on our website with the proper disclaimers.

You need to purchase books, tools, regs, repair parts for the class, just think of a tech cert as one of those tools you have to purchase for the class.

...except it's not a tool

You need to purchase books, tools, regs, repair parts for the class, just think of a tech cert as one of those tools you have to purchase for the class. No one has been complaining about the other costs associated with the class except for the tech cert.

...maybe because the other costs make more sense and are truly required for reparing/servicing a reg

I don't want this to turn out like the other thread, so please don't continue arguing the tech cert we have been there done that. There are many people that qualify for the class and have asked for it but are not taking it.

...neither do I, just trying to make sense and figure out why what you say is happening. Just thinking out loud that's all.
Please excuse me if my statement sounded like I wanted to start an argument, far from it.

Take care.

I know there are a lot of people that said they wanted to take the class but when it comes to putting up the money people tend to disappear.

Money should not be an issue as you will save more by doing your own service then the cost of the course and tools. Depending on how many regs you have you could break even the first year.

If what you do in scuba diving is based on saving money, breaking even, or making money, I might suggest that you move on while you can still afford to. You can't believe all the money I have saved since I bought my haskel. lol....lol...lol!

Do I need the complete (required) tool list, or do I need to have all the tools to work on a D1?
See you topside! John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom