Question Reg service in SF Bay Area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wnissen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a 2018 Apeks reg that needs service before I am going to take the regulator repair class. I assume almost any shop that services Aqualung / Apeks regs can do it, but do y'all know of who does so in house? My usual shop has gone to mail order, and if it's going to be sent off I figure I might as well pick the mail order spot.

Thanks,
Walt

If you do end up sending it out, why don't you see if @rsingler has the availability to do it?
That's a good point! Two reasons: 1., I need them back within a month because I have an upcoming dive trip. And 2., I do like to support my local dive shops with service revenue. But if nothing pops up you make an excellent suggestion.

Doesn’t Bamboo Reef sell Aqualung/Apeks? But their backlog is long. I’m more versed with Mares and for the exception of Monterey Bay Scuba who is all Tusa/Huish, most of the Bay Area/MB shops are Scubapro.

I only had experience with Pacific Scuba Repair in LA, Bamboo Reef also sells Mares but I didn’t want to wait a month to get my regs serviced.

Aquarius, who also owns Any Water Sports in San Jose, had been rather popular with the big brand names, specifically ScubaPro; though there was also a sizable list by the cash register of the brands that they do not service, which always gave me pause.

Bamboo Reef, from what I recall in the past, shipped regulators to their South of Market location in San Francisco, for servicing; and, after a poor experience some years back (in the midst of a move and without access to my tools), I wouldn't allow them to remove a dust cap -- and I wound up overnighting that equipment to Texas!

I can only fully recommend @rsingler at Napa Scuba LLC, through the mails, whom I did not know at the time, who also teaches a course on regulator repair on SB, and is trained to service any number of brands, and takes serious pride in his work . . .

Aquarius had been rather popular with the big brand names, specifically ScubaPro; though there was also a sizable list by the cash register of the brands that they do not service, which always gave me pause.

Bamboo Reef, from what I recall in the past, shipped regulators to their South of Market location in San Francisco, for service; and, after a poor experience some years back (in the midst of a move and without access to my tools), I wouldn't allow them to remove a dust cap -- and I wound up sending that equipment to Texas.

I can only fully recommend @rsingler at Napa Scuba LLC, through the mails, whom I did not know back then, who teaches a course on regulator repair on SB, and is trained to service any number of brands, and takes pride in his work . . .
DOER in Alameda seems to service only Scubapro in-house and they send out for everything else. Ditto with Anchor Shack in Pacheco/Pleasant Hill. I sent my Mares off to Pacific Scuba Repair - Bamboo Reef from my interaction with their Monterey store is too focused on teaching it seems. I’ve only stopped in Aquarius once, never again based on their sales tactics.

I never took @rsingler’s course but I know someone who really loved it.

I'd reach out to Any Water Sports in SJ, I think Frank services the regs in house. Alternatively reach out to Sam or Billy at Peninsula Dive Services in Marina. That is an option (but might be out of the way for you).

I also recommend Any Water, their turnaround time is quite good and often faster than advertised. It's a bit of a drive for me to get there, but I'm a fan so far.

I’ve only stopped in Aquarius once, never again based on their sales tactics.
Mind sharing a bit more? Any Water and Aquarius are largely "the same" (owners etc.) so critique of one would help inform recommendations of the other.

Mind sharing a bit more? Any Water and Aquarius are largely "the same" (owners etc.) so critique of one would help inform recommendations of the other.
I walked into there. Dude at the counter saw I was eying regs and said OMG the Scubapro S620Ti is the best you’ll dive. You can dive anywhere with this reg. That’s more or less what he said.

Back
Top Bottom