Panicking Over Weight of Regulator!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlexinWanderland

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Recently I purchased a Scubapro MK25/S600. It just arrived and somehow it seems twice as heavy as I remember in the store. I travel solo and long-term and the idea of toting this thing around the world is starting to freak me out a little.

I think part of my buyer's remorse comes from the fact that I recently checked out a friend's Apek's Flight reg. I just looked up the specs and it's about half the weight of mine. If I could I would exchange but I bought this regular in part with a Gift Certificate to a dive shop that does not stock Apeks.

I guess I am looking for someone to assure me that the MK25/S600 isn't really too heavy to travel with and that it is a far superior purchase to the Apeks!

Most divers carry-on their regulators and computer for a variety of good reasons, including reducing checked baggage weight. Relax, you purchased the most sought after regulator in the world...

Reactions: CPH
The MK25/S600 is a great regulator, I travel with a MK25/A700 and I am not concerned about weight. The difference between the regs is 10oz. you should not be worried about that, and the MK25/S600 is also a higher performing regulator. The only higher performing reg IMO is the MK25/A700. Also the hose routing for the MK25 is a lot better than the Flight first stage.

See... feeling a bit better already :) I guess when I walked into the store I was really resolved that I wanted the smallest/lightest regulator possible as I am a pretty small person (and have a small face!) but I got pretty overexcited about my first major dive purchase (I've been using second hand and cast-off equipment so far) and ended up going for something shiny. Sounds like in this case it wasn't the worst move as at least I've ended up with a great, reliable regulator. It still seems huge on my face, but I guess diving is not for the vain. :)

I've also had issues lately with airlines weighing my carry ons! But I travel with some serious budget airlines.

More reassurance. Your reg weighs 2.24 lbs. according to SP's website.

A $1600 Atomic T2X - all titanium - weighs 1.8lbs. Most of their other models are within oz. of yours and two are slightly heavier.

It's a good reg, I almost bought one instead.

I have had the airline weight my carryon once, but that was after a friend whom I was travelling with who was carrying a BIG backpack got his weighed and it was too heavy. They weighed mine to be sure the weight on both the bags where under the limit after we moved stuff over.

I know its a PITA that they weigh everything, but with regards to carryon, which most people stow above their heads theres some very good reasons for it - one of them being the drunk bastard who damn near dropped his on my head.
Another is of course the fact that IF you have a overly hard landing (aka emergency landing/crash) you dont want the thing to fall down and break everyones neck when maybe 3 or 4 could have survived the crash :p

Recently I purchased a Scubapro MK25/S600. It just arrived and somehow it seems twice as heavy as I remember in the store. I travel solo and long-term and the idea of toting this thing around the world is starting to freak me out a little....

Why not take it back to the store where you looked at it and make sure it is the same thing...or was this a check it out in the shop and buy on the internet thing?

I checked it out in the store's showroom, and then they shipped it from a warehouse. Sorry to be slow but I'm new to the whole reg business... what is a Ti version? I'm assuming its a lighter travel version?

Machined from titanium and/or titanium alloy - significantly lighter and usually more costly as well.

Back
Top Bottom