scored used aqualung regs+octo...good score or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aotus

Contributor
Reaction score
Last week I bought a nearly complete setup off craigslist...Really I was hoping there would be some weights-no luck there. I DID however get a full regulator and gauge setup. It's from the mid 90s, and hasn't been used in 10+ years (I'm told). I'm a new diver and not sure what I have here, or whether I should just sell it and use the money for training (working towards cave certification eventually). Obviously it would need to be looked over by my LDS before trying it out.

Here's what I have:
- US Divers Aqualung micra primary and secondary + matching octo
- Oceanic 3-gauge consul with compass (air in it though), pressure gauge, and Datamax computer (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...ored-old-oceanic-datamax-sport-keep-sell.html)

I'm leaning towards selling them all and expecting my cave instructor will insist I look into DIN first stage and newer regulators. Also, I'm hoping to dive mostly with nitrox and this computer is only for air (and I have a computer already).

Any thoughts on whether you think this stuff is any good, or any interesting historical details about this line would be cool.

Thanks!

photo1-1.jpg

My wife had this set in 1994.....it worked just fine but your description of your future diving would suggest you'll be better served following the advice of an instructor (nitrox, tech, cave instructor).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the gear wouldn't work well for cave diving. serviced, they are ok for some warm water vacation diving.

If you have a computer already I would sell it.

I always wanted a set of micras but they were out of my price range when I first started diving. They breath fine but some people complained about bubble interference. I am not sure about parts availability (should be fine but I would check), they do have a reputation of being a bit difficult to service but that is more the tech's problem than yours.

That said, I would also sell the regulators. They are not ideal for tech diving and will probably cost you over $100 to service. For what you could sell them for and the cost of the service you could get a new Hog setup for not much more.

I used to own the Cousteau 1st stage, bullet proof, and Micra ADJ it breathed very nicely as good as any I've owned. You can swap out the narrow exhaust Ts for wider ones, assuming still available, this greatly reduced the bubble interference. For recreational diving they are a great set. Other than some post dodgy servicing I never had a problem with them. I only sold them as I wanted a reg that was more self service friendly and I at the time couldn't source any service kits. Ok I'll be honest, I wanted a new toy.

I have to disagree with the others on selling it now. The regs are good quality and will work nicely for you as rec or travel regs. I would agree with them that they are not suitable for cave diving HOWEVER it is way too early for you to start worring about cave diving gear now. With the few dives you have, you are years away from cave training, you need a lot of experience before even thinking of starting cave training. Being new you don't have a good idea of what your equipment taste are and the idea that you can buy one set of gear up front that will carry you through to full tech diving is a wishful thinking and for those who live in a fantasy world. Before starting tech diving of any kind you will end up with at least 2 or 3 BCs and 4 or 5 regs, one set of which will be deticated to rec diving, these would do nicley for your rec regs for many years to come.

I have to disagree with the others on selling it now. The regs are good quality and will work nicely for you as rec or travel regs. I would agree with them that they are not suitable for cave diving HOWEVER it is way too early for you to start worring about cave diving gear now. With the few dives you have, you are years away from cave training, you need a lot of experience before even thinking of starting cave training. Being new you don't have a good idea of what your equipment taste are and the idea that you can buy one set of gear up front that will carry you through to full tech diving is a wishful thinking and for those who live in a fantasy world. Before starting tech diving of any kind you will end up with at least 2 or 3 BCs and 4 or 5 regs, one set of which will be deticated to rec diving, these would do nicley for your rec regs for many years to come.

Herman.... You're like the wise old man on the mountain.... I don't think you ever miss the point...:wink:

Jim....

Back
Top Bottom