Dive Rite "Streamlines Openwater Configuration"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHawk12

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So the other day I was perusing the inter webs when I came across this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OrTXi-hjv4

Intrigued by the setup, I started trying to find out a bit more information on it, but was sorely disappointed with what was available online.

So to get down to the point of this post, what do you all thing of this setup, and does anyone on here use it? Pros? Cons?

Thanks in advanced!

I think it's a very workable system for recreational divers. I personally use a 7' hose and one piece harness but there's nothing there that I have a problem with for an open water diver. I think it is a lot more sensible than many setups marketed to recreational divers.

In fact when my son starts to learn to dive next year, I'm thinking of setting up his rig that way. Air share follows the same procedure as for a long hose donate, but with less hose length to manage for an open water diver.
The only thing is to ensure your buddy knows that you intend to donate the primary regulator in an out of air situation.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I don't get the point of the 2nd on the short hose being in yellow when you're not going to donate it.

The standard taught to most recreational divers is that the Octo comes in yellow so it's more visible to them.
And it's what they'll be grabbing for if you don't see them coming. It seems counter intuitive to how most recreational divers are trained.

I might want them both black. Because you already know which one you're going to use in that situation. But you don't want to normally dive with the Octo. I might think about two identical 2nds also - some octos don't breathe as well. That might be the one time I'd want it to be optimal.

We set our students up that way.

On most of the dive rite regs, the face plate is interchangeable. I do see you point though.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

The only issue I have is the yellow cover should be switched from one reg to the other. We are all trained that the yellow reg is the one you donate, or "TAKE" from another diver. In this case it should be on the long hose, not the bungee backup.

I too dive a 7ft hose and a one piece harness. No need for fluff, and the 5-7 foot hoses route cleanly with no 90* needed, so it is easy to grab the reg by the hose for donation.

Whoops, I had too many threads open and by the time I got to it, others had already said everything.

About 3 yrs ago our club discussed the fact that our instructors all had reg setups like that and we should teach the basic open water with rigs like those of the students. After a pretty short discussion we changed all our students rigs to match our own necklaced setups.
Except for the 90-degree adapter on the primary, I've never seen one & never felt any need for one.

He kept saying, "and that'll give you a little bit more of a tech look."

So this will be great if you want to look tech?

He didn't show the house routing but I assume it was the standard 5 ft routing.

Not a 5' hose - its a 40" hose.
see here.. Dive Rite TV channel, diving videos, dive gear videos, training videos: Dive Rite Scuba
I agree that looking tech in itself is invalid as a reason to configure gear in a certain way, but the basic setup is quite valid as a whole for open water diving.

I never really came to terms with a 'standard' 40" hose octo. It always seemed to be in the way, I solved that issue by going to a 7' hose with necklaced secondary. The configuration in the linked videos looks like it would also work - for me anyway. Leading the hose under the arm and adding the 90 degree elbow gets that long 40" hose loop out of the way.

I've been diving with that reg setup for OW backmount diving for around 5 years. The 90* adapter makes everything in the air sharing process so much easier/better with no strain on anyones mouth. Running it under the shoulder stemmed from me diving that way with doubles and the first stages turned down. I try to avoid diving singles if at all possible, but would remove the adapter for singles diving unless I was using a turret first stage with the primary coming out of the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom