Aqualung Titan LX Supreme - good reg? good price?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dberry

Hydrophilic
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm considering buying my first reg. I'm a new diver and want to avoid getting something that I'll out-grow quickly, but don't want to go nuts. I'd like to leave some money in the budget to actually go diving... Since I live in SE Pennsylvania, cold water diving may well be in my future.

I was thinking about the Hog D1 package ($179), probably upgraded to the sealed cold-water package for ca. $220(?), but have come across a deal on the AquaLung Titan LX Supreme DIN for <$300 (normally ~$500). It may be a discontinued model, but I've been assured that parts will be available "forever".

Specs here:
Aqua Lung DK - Personal Aquatic Equipment for Personal and Professional Use - Titan LX Supreme

Any opinions about this reg or AquaLung in general? And what sort of discount is typical for SCUBA gear? does this sound like a good deal for unused, new-in-box piece from a reliable LDS?
TIA
-Don

Except for local diving in your area DIN tank availability might be an issue - esp. in the Caribbean.

A din to yoke adapter adds a potential failure point. And about $50 IIRC. $88 if you want the one with the AL name on it: Aqua Lung US - Personal Aquatic Equipment for Recreational and Professional Use - DIN-to-Yoke Converter

Whoever told you parts will be around forever is correct. The Titan is based on a 20 year design still in production. I'd have one except my Atomics are better...:D

If you're still considering the Hog, you might look at the DiveRite regs DGX sells. As you can tell, they're made by the same OEM. IDK who has the better price currently. https://www.divegearexpress.com/regulators/rg3000.shtml
Not saying one is better just that they're very similar.

my .02

Titans are bullet proof, AL has been and will be around forever. Never a mistake buying them. I have Titans, Apeks, SP and HOGS. I'm also an AL service tech. Hard to go wrong with either Titans or HOG, if servicing you reg yourself isn't a consideration, maybe the Titan is a good way to go. I'm cheap and I use a lot of regs and service myself so I've been buying HOGs lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have it, as well as the Octo, it is very nice breathing regulator, I had tryed 4 different regulators in my short diving time, and the titan Lx is the best the smoothes to breath, I'm happy with my purchase, but I can speak only for warm waters conditions, the experts here will know better the regulator performance in cold water.

I as well didn't want to break in the bank to get me a Legent or other high end regulator, and I did check some reviews and tests and I ended up with the Titan and some money as well to buy a matching Octo and gauge with them.

The reason they may be on special is because, certainly here in South Africa, they have just launched the Core as their mid range regulator. What I understand from Aqualung is that they will continue to manufacture the LX but will offer it at a discounted price. I have two of these Titan LX sets that i use for loaners and they can take a beating!

my wife owned the older version of the AL reg. totally different design but the old was fine. i am sure the new one is also just fine as well. i own two sets of hog. they are great.i think you should make the decision on which one can be serviced locally. if you can get both done i would go with the hogs. keep in mind when considering long term service cost that hogs do not come with any parts for life warranties. i am not sure about the AL.

My SO has one. It has been used for 350 dives, no problems. We dive a lot in cold, murky waters, with temperatures to zero degrees centigrade.

Another alternative:

DC3-212 - Dive Right in Scuba

Hollis DC3 + 212 for $199.

And a $20 DIN-to-Yoke adapter here:

https://www.divegearexpress.com/regulators/regacc.shtml#2531

It's a sealed, diaphragm design, so good for cold or warm water. And Hollis regs should be able to be serviced just about anywhere in the world you travel (like AL and SP).

I have this exact setup and tried mine out with the DGX DIN-to-Yoke adapter yesterday. Works perfectly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom