which reg - oh the agony!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluce

Registered
Reaction score
If only I could test some regs in a pool somewhere but that doesn't appear to be possible. Anyway...I like the Scubapro MK20/G250 but worry about bubbles with photography. I am also looking at the Apeks TX100 though I am no tech diver. I like the Dacor Viper Tec as well because of bubble dispersion/high performance. Will dive mostly Monterey and some warm water. 30 to 80 feet mostly. Any suggestions?.....Bob:confused:

Of the three mentioned, the ScubaPro and Apeks are the best choices.

And you don't have to be a tech diver to appreciate the brands/models prefered by tech divers. Purchasing one of these means you will have high quality system that you will be much happier with than if you were to select a budget reg.

Ditto what Buff said....I use the TX50-DS4 w/ TX40 octo - from Dive Inn....I don't have many dives yet - but so far I love them (breathe much nicer than the Sherwoods we used of OW cert)

Ummm

How about a black one and a yellow one?

(I dive Apeks Tx50/Tx20- Cold water modified)

For what you say you want to do (warm water, 30-80 ft) - my personal opinion is that they are all fine reqs. I'm more comfortable with the Apeks and the ScubaPro because I did my reasearch on those. Don't know much about the Dacor but I know some Cold water instructors who I trust that use the Viper as thier AAS.

Thanks for the replies. Then let me ask this. What are the main differences among the TX40, TX50 and TX100?? ... Bob

Bob -- try this link to the Sea-Quest web site (distributes Apeks regs in the US).

I have a TX-100 with a TX-40 octo and have enjoyed it so far. Here are a few of the differences:

- TX-100 does not have a first stage swivel; TX-40 & 50 do
- TX-100 & 50 have second stage adjustment knobs; TX-40 does not
- First stage port orientations -- all differ slightly (TX-40 & 50 are the same).

http://www.sea-quest.com/pages/choose_equip/ce_pdfs/SQ_GUIDE_Regs.pdf

Bottom line -- TX-100 is the most expensive and supposedly is the best breathing reg of the three. TX-40 is the least expensive and does not have the user adjusments on the 2nd stage that the more expensive models have.

I picked the TX-100 because I don't like swivels for ergonomic reasons and because of its easy-breathing reputation; that being said, there are other compatible Apeks first stages that are available without swivels (see link below for more details on other Apeks first stages). The DS4 is basically the same as the one normally sold with the TX-50 (DST), but without the swivel.
http://www.divesource.com/apeks/firststages.htm

FWIW -- I'm not a tech diver....

Hope this helps. You won't go wrong with Apeks regs.

I have the TX50 from DivInn and my backup is the TX40. They are mounted on a DST(swivel) first stage.

I don't notice much of a difference between the 50 and the 40. The 40 breathes as well as the 50 does when the 50 is opened all the way up. And the 40 has never free flowed on me.

Bottom line is that knowing that the 40 breathes like the 50 but costs less I would have just bought two 40s.

I have complete faith in the swivel mouting too. I think the swivel is another gimmick thing much like the second stage adjustment knob. My wife wanted the swivel so I bought it and as I say I think it is completely safe but really unecessary.

The Apeks is the reg. I recommend for all purpose use and they are inexpensive at DiveInn on the internet.

My only disapointment is that YOU will be diving in Monterey and not I.

Back
Top Bottom