DIY drysuit zipper replacement (front entry shell suit) Pics (~1.3mb total).

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dave4868

Old diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A few months back, I finally got up my DIY nerve and replaced the front diagonal zipper on my DUI CLx450 shell suit.

Since there might be limited interest in this topic, I'll summarize first.

This was my first DIY zipper replacement and it went well and was worth the effort.

Cost less than $100 total.

It was a little harder than doing a neck seal, and I'd certainly do it again. :D

Details follow, mostly in pics.

Note: I tried to use a heavy-duty sewing machine to install the new zipper, but the stitch tension couldn't be adjusted to not stretch the suit material, so I opted for glueing with S-18, an industrial-strength neoprene contact cement that I use for latex seals.

A couple major goals were to get the alignment right, of course, and to pre-bend the shoulder area when the zipper was installed and Aquasealed.

Both required some patience and care.

Pics follow.

Dave C

ZR-0_P8140008.jpg

ZR-0a_P8140009.jpg

ZR-1_P8140040.jpg

ZR-1a_P8140049.jpg

ZR-1b_P8140054.jpg

ZR-2_P8140068.jpg

ZR-3_P8140070.jpg

ZR-4_P8160089.jpg

ZR-5_P8160101.jpg

ZR-6_P8160106.jpg

ZR-7_P8160108.jpg

ZR-8_P8160124.jpg

ZR-9_PB290002.jpg

ZR-9a_PB290007.jpg

nICE

Could you elaborate on any deviations from you method doing a stright back entry. Your method reminds me of putting on window plastic to winterize windows (plastic strips) great idea if they don't ruin the glue stickiness.

Let me be the first to say great job.

Could you tell me were to get a zipper and glue etc for $100

Wow Awesome,

My suit is out of commission in need of a zipper (or other suit) where did you get the zipper to do that for $100?

Pete

Thanks for taking the time to take pics and post. I was wondering about doing this my self for a 350. I also want to know your zipper source.

Hunter

nICE

Could you elaborate on any deviations from you method doing a stright back entry. Your method reminds me of putting on window plastic to winterize windows (plastic strips) great idea if they don't ruin the glue stickiness.

Let me be the first to say great job.

Could you tell me were to get a zipper and glue etc for $100

Thanks!

I've only done this one installation, so I can't say how installing a back-entry shoulder zipper might be different. I've heard they're easier because they can be installed pretty much flat without any significant bends.

I believe the zippers themselves are essentially the same, except for length, and/or possibly TPI (teeth per inch), since a heavy-duty 6 TPI could be used on the back entry, since it doesn't have to bend as much.

I purchased the new zipper a year ago on eBay for $82, delivered. That seller had listed about a dozen zippers of different lengths and I lucked out and got what I needed. They are very rare on eBay, though, and that seller hasn't listed any more.

I've just sent an email to the seller to see if they can get some more. I'll post if I find a source.

One possible source is B&M Distributing, in East Providence, RI. I talked with their representative about a year ago and got a ball-park price of around $110, if I remember correctly.

WHOLESALE DIVING EQUIPMENT

I know of another source in MA that may be willing to sell them for $125, but I'd have to confirm before posting details.

So, zippers can be found. I'm still looking for a connection in England to get them more directly. (Gad, I am sooo cheap!) :D

As far as the glue I used, S-18 glue was recommended by a shop that does drysuit work. It's an industrial neoprene contact cement used for such applications as applying marine carpet to boat hulls, etc. It's a little hard to find.

It's made by R-H Products of Acton, MA. (978) 897-8000

They were happy to provide the names of nearby distributors when I inquired.

There happened to be a distributor about a hundred miles from me, but on the way to the dive site, so I picked up a quart can last year. :)

That distributor was Atlantic Rubber, Co, 37 Ayer Rd, Littleton, MA (800) 882-3666. I don't know if they routinely retail the product, or if they just did me favor, but they sold me a quart for about $11.

I just Googled up another distributor:

S-18 Neoprene Adhesive, Aerosol, Adhesives & Sprays, 3M Fastbond Foam Adhesive 100, 3M Top and Trim Adhesive (8046) from Rochford Supply - Your Online Textile and Upholstery Superstore!

However, there's a significant hazardous material shipping surcharge of $20 on top of the $18.99 per gallon price, so you might want to find a local distributor.

By the way, reportedly, the S-18 will have a shelf-life, after opening, of about 5-7 years.

I probably used less than 4 ounces putting three coats on the suit and zipper.

Another glue with an excellent reputation is PB-300. I might try it sometime because they say it allows some positioning of the glued surfaces after initial contact.

You mentioned a concern about the plastic strips affecting the glue, but that doesn't happen. Using ZipLoc-type bag plastic was good because it's strong and very smooth and slippery.

Also, the glue is allowed to dry 10-15 minutes to the point of being just barely tacky, so the plastic barely sticks to the glue.

I first started using a plastic strip with latex seals because it would peel out of the way without pulling the latex with it.

Wow Awesome,

My suit is out of commission in need of a zipper (or other suit) where did you get the zipper to do that for $100?

Pete

Sorry to hear that, Pete. That was a new zipper, if I remember your post. Hope you get it fixed soon.

Thanks for taking the time to take pics and post. I was wondering about doing this my self for a 350. I also want to know your zipper source.

Hunter

See above for the zipper source.

I've got a TLS350 as a back-up suit and its replacement zipper was glued in also and had many dives on the replacement zipper, so I felt pretty confident in using glue rather than sewing the zipper in.

With the right machine, sewing is quicker and more secure, so I'm still looking for local machines that might work. I don't think it's critical, though.

Nevertheless, I think I'd rather sew on my CF-200 socks when I replace them. Maybe by then I'll find someone local with a suitable sewing machine to trade scallops for sewing. :D

Dave C

I just wanted to post and say that I just installed a new zipper on my TLS 350 using Dave's method posted above. It went very well largely due to Dave's excellent post - So thanks Dave!

For those of you contemplating this as a DIY I say go for it. Like mentioned above, it's a little harder than a neck seal, but not all that difficult in general. One thing that I did different was that I didn't remove the old zipper "tape". I just glued the new zipper over the old one. My thinking was a rubber to rubber bond would be just as good or better than a rubber to trilam bond. I also used McNett Seal Cement. I still need to aquaseal the inner seam so no dives yet, but things seem to be very solid.

It takes the better part of the day, but for me it was worth it. I found a new zipper for $30 and then I just had the cost of a jar of seal cement and will have the cost of a couple of tubes of aquaseal and cotol. My total cost will be about $50. I just had a buddy get his suit back from DUI for a zipper replacement and I think the total was over $400. I was quoted $250 from Superior however. I know you can buy new zippers for about $130. So it won't make sense for everyone, but if you're the type that likes DIY then this is a great way to save a buck or two.

Anyway, best of luck to anyone else who gives it a go. And thanks again Dave!

Hunter

I just wanted to post and say that I just installed a new zipper on my TLS 350 using Dave's method posted above. It went very well largely due to Dave's excellent post - So thanks Dave!

For those of you contemplating this as a DIY I say go for it. Like mentioned above, it's a little harder than a neck seal, but not all that difficult in general. One thing that I did different was that I didn't remove the old zipper "tape". I just glued the new zipper over the old one. My thinking was a rubber to rubber bond would be just as good or better than a rubber to trilam bond. I also used McNett Seal Cement. I still need to aquaseal the inner seam so no dives yet, but things seem to be very solid.

It takes the better part of the day, but for me it was worth it. I found a new zipper for $30 and then I just had the cost of a jar of seal cement and will have the cost of a couple of tubes of aquaseal and cotol. My total cost will be about $50. I just had a buddy get his suit back from DUI for a zipper replacement and I think the total was over $400. I was quoted $250 from Superior however. I know you can buy new zippers for about $130. So it won't make sense for everyone, but if you're the type that likes DIY then this is a great way to save a buck or two.

Anyway, best of luck to anyone else who gives it a go. And thanks again Dave!

Hunter

Thanks! Just glad to give a little back.... :)

I'll probably follow your lead and glue my next zipper onto the tape of the old one.

You found a terrific bargain on that zipper! Was it a one-time deal?

My automated eBay searches haven't turned up any more zippers, but that could be due to the 1-day delay in the email notification. I'll have to search manually to catch one, I think.

It's good to hear your zipper replacement went well.

Dave C

Thanks for posting this!! But in place of "contact cement" should one use something like McNett's Seal Cement?

Incidentally, Steve Gamble in Florida replaced my front entry zipper on a CF200 for $230. He did an excelent job, too.

Steve & Marianne Gamble
6715 NW 63rd Ave
Gainesville, FL 32653
352-379-0653
gamble@atlantic.net

Thanks for posting this!! But in place of "contact cement" should one use something like McNett's Seal Cement?

Coldsmoke used McNett's Seal Cement with good results (see his post).

S-18 neoprene contact cement works well also. It's used by a major drysuit repair facility in my area.

One of S-18's industrial applications is in boat manufacture to install marine carpeting.

It holds very well.

S-18 is about $11 per quart. :D

Dave C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom