Trident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aukanaii26

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Is there anyone one the board who can order from trident? Or someone who has a spare inline regulator adjustor they would be willing to sell? I have seen them on scubatools but was wondering if there where anyway I could get ahold of one for cheaper than $70.

You don't really NEED an inline adjuster; it's only a very nice LUXURY. Just hand tighten the hose, see if it free flows, remove the hose, tweak the orifice one way or another, repeat.

You don't really NEED an inline adjuster; it's only a very nice LUXURY. Just hand tighten the hose, see if it free flows, remove the hose, tweak the orifice one way or another, repeat.

I agree but if you just want one, Bryan at Vintage Double Hose is a Trident dealer, odds are he will order you one if your LDS will not.

In that case, you might as well go all the way and get the Scubatools one because it's balanced and doesn't pop out when you turn the air on. I ended up buying it, but I'm not too convinced it's that more practical.

While we're on the subject, I've got a question to all gurus: I can get a very fine degree of tuning with the ST adjuster if I don't purge while I turn the knob. Theoretically, that could cut/damage the seat because it's pressed again the orifice. I haven't messed up anything so far, but I'd welcome any comments.

Edit
Btw, I don't think the Trident adjuster is cheaper.

Before buying any tool but the Scubatools one make sure the one you get will work with the orifice on your reg. A slotted tool won't be much use on a hex orifice.

I do agree that it is merely a convenience, but I had/ have 7 or 8 2nd stage to do and unscreweing and rescrewing the second stage become tiring if your too far off. What do you mean by balanced and won't pop out?

I do agree that it is merely a convenience, but I had/ have 7 or 8 2nd stage to do and unscreweing and rescrewing the second stage become tiring if your too far off. What do you mean by balanced and won't pop out?

My understanding is for the one I purchased I need to push the knob in to turn the orifice while on the scuba tools one you don't need to. Also the Scubatools one is more universal as it can do hex orifices as well as the slotted kind.

That's exactly right.

In Scubatools' own words: "Pneumatically Balanced: The Dual Drive Adjusting Tool utilizes a "flow through" spool. The flow through design balances the air pressure between the hose and the second stage. By equalizing the forces acting on the spool, it can be easily moved in either direction and will remain stationary in any position. This feature means that when the spool is moved inward, to index the drive bit with the orifice, it will "stay put" without any hand pressure. Eliminating the need to push inward adds a tremendous level of sensitivity and touch when orifice adjustments are made."

I don't have the balanced in line adjuster, but I do have a standard 90 degree adjuster and the "el cheapo" version. (see item SA01 pg 16 of the Trident catalogue.) I find the el cheapo the easiest to use if you slightly modify it and employ "Couv's-mouth-vacuum method." You can actually use the following method without an in line adjuster, but the tool saves one or two disconnects.

So here we go. After you have the reg assembled with the orifice out a couple of turns you can now use "Couv's-mouth-vacuum method." Screw the tool onto the second stage-leave the hose off. Adjust the orifice in until you see a very slight drop in lever height. Now, with your mouth create a vacuum on the tool. If you can't draw a vacuum, adjust the orifice in a little at a time until you can. Once you've found the spot where you can make or break the vacuum with a very slight turn attach the hose. Chances are when you first pressurize you'll get a free flow-but it will only take a very small turn clockwise to stop it.

The tool I have needed just a bit of thinning of the tip (with a file) to fit easily into the narrow orifice slot. Additionally, I used a hacksaw blade to cut a notch in the tip to allow better airflow under pressure as the tip left "as is" restricts the flow volume too much.

Re: adjusting and not pressing the purge. I have accidentally done this a few times with no issues, but why take the chance?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom