WInterizing Regulators with Silicone Oil?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bigbella

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Having winterized regulators over the years -- primarily Poseidon -- I had been wondering whether anyone was still using silicone oil for antifreeze purposes, akin to the "Mares MR16 / V 16 Cold-Water Diving Kit" that I had recently seen listed, on a popular auction site?

It seemed definitely reminiscent of the old Poseidon kits, with the replacement top of a first stage with a vented "pressure-adjusting screw," along with a "membrane" barrier to both contain the oil and to transmit water pressure to the diaphragm -- where the Swedes promoted either straight alcohol of one form or another (we used rotgut vodka); that, or a combination of glycerin and ethanol, all far simpler to clean away than any oil, and maybe worth drinking.

Has anyone used the kit, seen below, in recent years?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-04-18 at 12.41.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-04-18 at 12.41.04 PM.png
    583.9 KB · Views: 30
Not seen one of those, did find it interesting what you used vodka for though.​

Having winterized regulators over the years -- primarily Poseidon -- I had been wondering whether anyone was still using silicone oil for antifreeze purposes, akin to the "Mares MR16 / V 16 Cold-Water Diving Kit" that I had recently seen listed, on a popular auction site?

It seemed definitely reminiscent of the old Poseidon kits, with the replacement top of a first stage with a vented "pressure-adjusting screw," along with a "membrane" barrier to both contain the oil and to transmit water pressure to the diaphragm -- where the Swedes promoted either straight alcohol of one form or another (we used rotgut vodka); that, or a combination of glycerin and ethanol, all far simpler to clean away than any oil, and maybe worth drinking.

Has anyone used the kit, seen below, in recent years?
I have only done it with Poseidons. Dark eyes vodka in the plastic bottle was always my choice. Nothing but the finest.

Not used the used the kit in recent time as I sold most all of my Mares regs nearly 20 years ago. Fairly straight forward to use. As with most any reg sealing it is a bit messy.

Note that over long exposure alcohol can affect the silicon diaphragm.

Not used the used the kit in recent time as I sold most all of my Mares regs nearly 20 years ago. Fairly straight forward to use. As with most any reg sealing it is a bit messy.

Note that over long exposure alcohol can affect the silicon diaphragm.
We were using either the metal or rubber Poseidon antifreeze caps, with vodka, six months or more out of the year, without issue; and back then -- parts hard to come by -- we often just flipped the tough-as-darts first stage diaphragms, to gain a bit more mileage out of them, which always remained unaffected by the booze . . .

Attachments

• IMG_2981.jpeg
    IMG_2981.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom