Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: State of Kentucky has filed against DEPP (Divers Equipment Protection Policy)

Registered

Cruise Director in Indonesia

Dives
    1,000 - 1,999

State of Kentucky has filed against DEPP (Divers Equipment Protection Policy)

For the back ground to this posting you can follow any one of three separate threads regarding this company.

Following complaints made to the Kentucky Department of Insurance by three Scubaboard users (myself, Glamourpuss and Farmerbob) I am very happy to announce that the Fraud Division of that office have now filed against DEPP, and specifically Deane and Dixie Lehrmitt. In an email to us, Special Investigator Michael Johnson said that the Lehrmitts attorney is to be appointed as a 3rd party administrator to settle our cases and make full restitution. Its been over three years since I suffered submitted a claim to DEPP and this case cannot be closed too soon for me now. Its been a very long and frustrating process.

My faith in the American legal system is restore, or will be when I get the rest of my payment!

Simon

Divin' in the sunshine :14:

Registered

is down to no good!

Dives
    500 - 999
    I guess this is good news. Unfortunately my policy was auto-renewed a month ago because I didn't have time to investigate alternatives.

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

CALIFORNIA: Where recreational diving began!
    Dives
    None - Not Certified
    What is the is this about?

Please explain in greater detail

Please identify the threads -posting mentioned

SDM

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    DEPP finally settled on my claim after 18 months... apparently they had sent checks to the wrong address. Not happy with their procrastination on my claim, but glad it was finally settled. I switched to DAN this spring.
    Dr. Bill: I once had a 6-pack but now I have a full keg... well, maybe just a pony!
    Dr. Bill: Not THAT kind of doctor... but I'll take a look at it anyway!

Kelp forest marine life images, DVD's for sale, and archived "Dive Dry with Dr. Bill" newspaper columns
    Single or Buddyless? Check out SingleDivers.com or PM me!

Registered

ancadirt

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by sam miller View Post
    What is the is this about?

Please explain in greater detail

Please identify the threads -posting mentioned

SDM
    Search DEPP Fraud

or: Diver's Equipment Protection Program (DEPP) - Buyer Beware

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

CALIFORNIA: Where recreational diving began!
    Dives
    None - Not Certified
    Most interesting!

Through out history of diving beginning with LA co long before the establishment of NAUI & PADI there has been insurance companies who have been established to insure diving equipment. Most have not done their home work and most have gone out of business due to excessive claims -- some legit some fraudulent.

Now another one probably on the way out of business

Most interesting!

SDM

Registered

Cruise Director in Indonesia

Dives
    1,000 - 1,999
    Sam, please dont think that DEPP are going out of business due to some lack of research in to the market. They are going out of business (hopefully) because of their history of acting in bad faith and (finally) the willingness of the Kentucky Insurance Commisioners office to get involved and take legal action to make them meet their contractual obligations. They have witheld thousands of $$ from their customers and it is starting to catch up with them.
    Divin' in the sunshine :14:

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    Sam, nice to finally meet you at the SCUBA Show.

Agree with Utila Simon that the case of DEPP centers around a company that has been at times totally unresponsive to their customers, delayed settlements without reasonable explanations and generally been a bit shaky overall. I'm sure fraudulent claims are a part of the picture, but they didn't deal well with very legitimate claims either.
    Dr. Bill: I once had a 6-pack but now I have a full keg... well, maybe just a pony!
    Dr. Bill: Not THAT kind of doctor... but I'll take a look at it anyway!

Kelp forest marine life images, DVD's for sale, and archived "Dive Dry with Dr. Bill" newspaper columns
    Single or Buddyless? Check out SingleDivers.com or PM me!

Registered

self-aggrandizing fool

Up a river of excrement in a native american water vessel without any means of propulsion
    Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Props to Simon for persevering on the issue which hopefully will get results for himself and many others.

FWIW I have some gear insured via a rider on my home owners policy.
    4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Having viewed the other threads there is no shortage of people who have had problems with DEPP. I'm one of them. I've filed two claims over the years. In both cases it took a while to get my check but it did eventually come. I had to go to a camera shop and/or mail my camera to the manufacturer to get proof that it was defunct but that seemed reasonable, if time-consuming. Unfortunately the communication was so poor after my last flooded camera that I decided to cancel and go with the DAN company. (They quickly stopped emailing and they rarely answered the phone, then I received numerous "the check is in the mail" promises over at least 6 months until I finally received it.)
    I didn't really feel they were acting in bad faith in my case, I just thought that it was a one-man (woman) show that could not keep up with the volume of policies and claims they received and probably needed to hire some additional help.
    Anyway does someone have recommendations for other companies that insure dive gear, and specifically cameras against flooding? For as long as I can recall it's always been either DAN or DEPP. Now that we're all writing off DEPP that just leaves us with one provider. Usually not a good thing in any marketplace.
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."
    -Will Rogers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast