How do you ALWAYS time your Snorkel blast/blow when surfacing? The solution...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alex_tx

Registered
Reaction score
There is a [Snorkel Riddle] section at the SNAKEstrap.com website, if the link below does not show up. You will absolutely love snorkeling a lot more after learning this practical technique, enjoy! Most people should know the answer to part#1. The Part#2 answer [Solution to issue#2] is the trick that most people over look.
http://www.snakestrap.com/Site/Snorkel__Riddle.html

Last edited:
LOL.
This practical "reach up, look up & go up" technique is as old as I am. (50's)
It was taught to me when I learned to dive (NAUI) as part of of the basic skin & scuba diver course (1970) which was had 3 snorkeling sessions, before starting on scuba.
Finning, snorkeling, Doff & Don were all considered required fundamental skills required before moving on to SCUBA.

Nice to see we're getting back to the basics

MikeD

Thank you MikeD for your reply. I agree with you on the first part of the answer, I am not sure you read the 2nd part of the answer, the link at the bottom of that page. [Solution to issue#2]

With this technique, you can Always time your snorkel blow/blast when surfacing, even in low to no visibility water.
For example, where are diving... if know for certain you will not have obstacles floating above your head, you can use this snorkel technique when ascending to the surface without looking up. Not that I am recommending you never look up. But if you are diving in an area which YOU WILL NOT have any obstacles floating above your head, try this technique looking downwards when ascending to the surface. I assure you, you will be able to always time your snorkel blow/blast in a controlled-environment in the above scenario without looking up to the surface. After you read the part 2 answer this should make sense or try it out yourself and find out how well it works.

B.Alex

Last edited:
why blast into your snorkel to clear out the water anyway? I use just a j-tube snorkel and as soon as I surface it is clear.. and first thing I do is an inhale. Absolutely no water in the snorkel after a dive, and no blast of air to clear the snorkel after I reach the surface.

my wife uses a snorkel with a valve on the bottom and with that one there is no reason to blast the water out either. Just a normal exhale on the surface while looking down and the water pretty much empties through the valve.

Yes I read the solution, and as also noted by 'holddingmybreath', I don't blast clear, exhaling as your hand breaks surface allows a displacement clear, which is easier.& less effort!

Mike D

Thank you MikeD for your reply. I agree with you on the first part of the answer, I am not sure you read the 2nd part of the answer, the link at the bottom of that page. [Solution to issue#2]

With this technique, you can Always time your snorkel blow/blast when surfacing, even in low to no visibility water.
For example, where are diving... if know for certain you will not have obstacles floating above your head, you can use this snorkel technique when ascending to the surface without looking up. Not that I am recommending you never look up. But if you are diving in an area which YOU WILL NOT have any obstacles floating above your head, try this technique looking downwards when ascending to the surface. I assure you, you will be able to always time your snorkel blow/blast in a controlled-environment in the above scenario without looking up to the surface. After you read the part 2 answer this should make sense or try it out yourself and find out how well it works.

B.Alex

I am positive buoyant & I prefer to have a snorkel flute fill up with water when I freedive/spear fish. This technique works flawlessly. I might miss 1 snorkel blow timing in 30 or 40 ascends and that is because I got lazy and that is because of user error.

alex tx,
my snorkel fills completely with water just like anyone else. I'm saying that there is a simple technique of emptying the snorkel without using a blast of air, it is done before you surface, and when you get to the surface, you can go right to an inhale. It is especially useful while spearfishing because it is near silent, and as stated by mddolson, uses no energy.

Mike D & holdingmybreath,
I need to see this method in action, is there a video clip on youtube or a site that explains or shows this method?

Thanks in advance

Back
Top Bottom