How do you equalize without pinching?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g1138

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have trouble equalizing my ears without pinching my nose.
On scuba I usually just open my jaw and breath in and out and it usually works quite well.
I'm unable to to this when freediving.
Any techniques out there that work best for you?

Thanks avaseliades
I've tried that as well. Unfortunately I can't swallow that fast to keep up with my descent.
I'd like to find a way that allows a consistent equalization so I don't have to stop every so often to swallow or blow.

A number of methods exist which allow you to open your Eustachian tubes and equalize your ears. Some require pinching your nose, one doesn't. I've marked that one in blue.

The most common method of equalization is the Valsalva Maneuver. Named for Antonio Valsalva, this technique involves pinching off the nostrils and blowing gently into the nose. Never blow forcefully while attempting this method as a too forceful Valsalva Maneuver can result in the rupture of the eardrum, round window or oval window. This will usually result in immediate vertigo and hearing loss, which can be permanent.

The Frenzel Maneuver was named for developer, Herman Frenzel of the Luftwaffe in World War II. This method is preformed by closing off the vocal cords, pinching the nostrils and an effort is made to make a "guh" sound.

The Toynbee Maneuver is simply pinching of the nostrils while swallowing.

Beance Tubaire Voluntaire (BTV) or Voluntary Tubal Opening is the preferred method of equalization once mastered. It feels very much like a yawn and a difference in tonal quality of sounds will be noticed when successful. The muscles of the upper throat are used to pull open the Eustachian tube.

You should employ equalization techniques immediately upon descent and continue them regularly on descent. If any pain is experienced, you should ascend until all pain disappears and begin again.

Often divers find it useful to chew gum or eat foods such as apples or carrots prior to diving. You should not attempt to chew gum or eat while diving. Another equalization technique divers find helpful is to gently massage the area under the ear, just behind the jaw. This gentle massage is most effective when used in conjunction with one of the other equalization techniques mentioned above.

If you are unable to equalize ear pressure, it is possible to rupture the eardrum, round window or oval window. This will usually result in immediate vertigo and hearing loss, which can be permanent. If you are unable to equalize, you should abort the dive.

One interesting way to equalize,and I know of a freediver who did this while attempting a world record freedive.
He filled his sinuses completely with water.
That's the ultimate equalization technique though I wouldn't recommend it.

That would eliminate the need to equalize the sinuses, but the ears would still need to be equalized.

I have no idea, I just sort of do it without thinking. But now I am going to be thinking about it next time that I dive, I will probably just confuse myself.

I wish you hadn't made me think about it! It's like Solzhenitsyn's blue-eyed polar bear!

Some freedivers can equalize hands-free, and others cannot. I hear tell that Mandy Cruickshank can equalize just by swallowing. If you can master one of the techniques, great! Just know that if you cannot, you are not alone.

One interesting way to equalize,and I know of a freediver who did this while attempting a world record freedive.
He filled his sinuses completely with water.
That's the ultimate equalization technique though I wouldn't recommend it.
That would eliminate the need to equalize the sinuses, but the ears would still need to be equalized.
What that fellow did was to fill the sinuses with saline, and then "equalize," which forced saline into the inner ears. Voila! No more need to equalize. I hear tell that it was very painful getting the saline out. Apparently he considered it worth the trouble. Someone told me that none of the current record holders are doing this now.

People seem to agree, though, that the more you equalize, the easier it gets. And of course, begin at the surface and equalize often. Doing it sooner makes it easier.

Caveat: I am no expert.

daniel1948:
What that fellow did was to fill the sinuses with saline, and then "equalize," which forced saline into the inner ears.

I'm not an expert on anatomy, but I'm not aware of a direct connection between the sinuses and the middle ear. Please teach me about this.

Ear Sinuses

I may have described it wrong, but the way it was explained to me, he flooded his sinuses with saline, and also forced saline through his Eustachian tubes into his inner ears. These may well have been two separate procedures. I was also told that getting the saline out was quite painful. And finally, I was told that since that time, deeper records have been set without the saline flooding.

The point being that he didn't have to use precious air volume for his sinuses or ears, but also that whatever he achieved this way, others have done better in spite of using air to equalize the air spaces in the head.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom