Crazy, Crazy Fish!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottfiji

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Penny and I had a great, crazy dive at Big Rock in Malibu today. 66min, 35ft, 63 degrees. strong current at the pinnacle, which is strange, I've never felt a current at big rock before. The current made the fish absolutely crazy, they lost all sense of fear, and completely ignored us. Fish that normally shuttered at the sound of bubbles let us approach within inches. sheep crabs were out in force, schools of fish swept by, garibaldis were in love. Vis was 5ft or less in most places, although some parts of the pinnacle saw 10-12ft. Current must be from the full moon. Vis was low, but where we could see was packed with fish.

Did anyone else experience a strong current the last couple days? or crazy fish?

Big1+001.jpg

Penny trundling towards the surf

Big1+012.jpg

Fearless Blacksmith, clearly distracted

Big1+019.jpg

Black Perch making a close pass

Big1+022.jpg

Black Croakers. These guys are usually scared stiff of divers

Big1+028.jpg

Very ticked-off Sheep Crab

Big1+036.jpg

Happy scallops and Featherduster worms

Big1+049.jpg

Jack Mackerel

Big1+068.jpg

Female Garibaldi laying eggs, while her mate stands guard

Big1+070.jpg

Rare white sea cucumber, has anyone seen one like this before???

I never seen strange sea cucumber...Thanks for sharing

Nice stuff Scott! By the way, sheep crab are always ticked off ( no way was I gonna say CRABBY!). And that white cuke is a real trip!

So where is Big Rock??

PS: Visited your photo site...outstanding! What is your rig?

thanks Jdog (& Jason), good to hear from you

orangelion,

big rock is in malibu, its pretty much the closest decent dive site to santa monica

I use a Fuji F10 with the internal strobe. I added a small fantasea external strobe a couple weeks ago., but the photos on the web site are internal flash only.

scott

Back
Top Bottom