How are the sea bass in 2006?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slingshot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How are the numbers of Black Sea Bass looking at Catalina this year? I've heard they are being seen regularly again, and hope their numbers are on the rise despite reports in the past year of poaching. I hope to visit them again this year, having first seen them in 2005. I thought they were sedate, but they can be deceptively fast! More pictures of fish tail!

We've been seeing quite a few this season, but so far mostly in smaller groups and scattered over more of the coastline. Good encounters reported from the dive park. The most I've seen together at Italian Gardens this season was 7 (peak of 13 last summer, but a group said they saw 15 there last week. Since I've already completed my giant sea bass DVD, I'm not looking for them as much as I did the past six years,

slingshot:
How are the numbers of Black Sea Bass looking at Catalina this year? I've heard they are being seen regularly again, and hope their numbers are on the rise despite reports in the past year of poaching. I hope to visit them again this year, having first seen them in 2005. I thought they were sedate, but they can be deceptively fast! More pictures of fish tail!

Here's what we saw a few weeks ago in July. SeaBass Pix

Saw one this weekend too. He was in the distance.

They're there.

---
Ken

Wow Mo2vation, that's great bass! Bigger than the ones I saw last year.
Hi Dr. Bill, are you diving the King Neptune anytime soon? I'd love to see your DVD.

slingshot:
Wow Mo2vation, that's great bass!
:lol:
I'm gonna need a bigger blender....

---
Ken

I showed your photo around the "office" today, people were impressed. One of my
colleagues said "that fish could eat that guy". I said that the sea bass don't eat people, and he said "why not?"

More to think about on my next dive...

Had a few black sea bass sightings today on the King Neptune (Blue Car Wreck and Garibaldi Reef between the Edison plant and the East End Quarry). I dive it 3-5 times a week this time of year although I'm taking the next week off since my Mom and sister are visiting.

slingshot:
Wow Mo2vation, that's great bass!
Mo2vation:
:lol:
I'm gonna need a bigger blender....

---
Ken
:rofl2: stop!!! STOP!... I start laughing and I can't stop and then I have to make up some story to explain to the office mates why Competency Assessment Checklist Revisions are so dang funny that I've got tears in my eyes.... Stop it!!!!

...bigger blender... omg :rofl2:

'Chica
(aka "that guy in the picture" :D ... guess I really do need pink gear :11: )

I haven't had the pleasure of diving Catalina Island yet, but I have had multiple encounters with these magnificient beasts in the past 2 months. I've seen GSB on 3 occasions each on a different trip. First time was at santa cruz(I think) with OrangeLion, single GSB sighting. 2nd time was at Anacappa, Cathdral Cove with Shah from Hollywood Divers, we saw 5 of them, 1 pair, 3 singles. Sorry for the lack of focus, my first time using the camera UW.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=153064
And I saw 3 of them Saturday while diving off the Sunfish at Fish Camp with 120+ft of vis. It was an amazing day to say the least.

Either I am the luckiest diver in the world, or they seem to be flourishing around Anacappa. The latter seems to be the more probable, as probable as luck is.
We'll be taking our boat to Catalina in a few weeks and I'll report back what we see.

Billy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom