what to look for in a class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A good instructor.

Patient. Thorough. Will put in the extra effort to make sure his students leave the course equipped with a basic set of skills that will get them off to a good start

Skills such as buoyancy control, a streamlined configuration and correct weighting - rather than the minimum set required (can breathe and flail around while submerged).

The shop or agency doesn't matter.

Cheers,
Rohan.

IMO - A good friendly instructor. I have seen some instructors that appear to have a power issue, and like to lord it over their students, telling them off, - and being if nothing else - a pain in the rear end.

When you learn to dive - you've got enough to worry about without having someone ready to pounce on you and embarras you whenever you make a mistake.

When you have a friendly instructor - you're more likely to ask questions (even if they seem a bit silly) - and you're more likely to learn from your experience, whilst enjoying yourself - instead of being stressed out about not upsetting the instructor.

In saying this - I find most instructors are friendly, but it never hurts to ask around to find out what people have previously thought.

You also want one that's not happy-go-lucky that isn't thorough either. It is your life we're talking about. In short - I'd say someone 'friendly but thorough'. :)

As for certs - I'd suggest just take one step at a time - OW. Then, if you want, branch out into areas that interest you. The AOW isn't a bad general course to move onto, and maybe getting Nitrox certified might be something worth considering to.

There is another course that PADI do, (forgot what it's called - something prior to the Open Water course) - but I'd give it a miss. It's more for tourist places to get non qualified divers in the water, but you always need to dive with an instructor (or a DM IIRC).

adza:
There is another course that PADI do, (forgot what it's called - something prior to the Open Water course) - but I'd give it a miss. It's more for tourist places to get non qualified divers in the water, but you always need to dive with an instructor (or a DM IIRC).

Discover Scuba - can be fun to give a non-diver a taste of diving, but if you already know you want to become a diver then Open Water is the course you need to do.

adza:
IMO - A good friendy instructor.

IMO - A good friendy sexy instructor. :D

Check out the thread linked in my signature line. You'll learn more than you ever wanted to know about what some of us think is important in an open water class.

Having been recently re-certified with my wife of thirty years (her first time!), I found our confined dive instructors very patient, knowledgeable and most importantly, through. We finished with our Open Water in Hawaii with another very good instructor. However, while there, we witnessed a couple, also recently certified, flailing around, horrible buoyancy skills, no ability to hover or swim level and barely able to clear their masks. Their instructor was with them and he could care less. The husband used up his first tank in less than 15 minutes; she followed in 5 minutes later.

Find one based on good reviews by competent divers. Not just a get-it-done diver cert mill. We trained with Dolphin Dive in Arcadia. I will attest, after first being certified over thirty years ago, they know what they are doing and they know how to convey their knowledge and passion to others.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom