Question Too early to consider tec?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Wreck(ed)Diver

Wreck(ed)Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi guys!

My lofty goal is to get my first tec certification in a year or so. I dive a lot and already have a solid understanding of the math behind my dive computer, GFs, and decompression theory in general. However I only have about 30 dives and AOW/Nitrox L2. In between now and then, I will be taking an AAUS underwater science class, working a research diving job, getting my drysuit cert, TAing a scuba class, and of course more diving.

Now my plan for getting into tec is to get my rescue diver cert, then take a technical foundations class, (maybe sidemount) and then finally take my first XR class.

Am I rushing things too much? I feel comfortable at my level and of course will stop if I noticeably get ahead of myself but I would greatly appreciate advice from more hardcore divers who have already been through this.

Thanks for the advice!!

Nothing about what dives you want to do, just the certs you want to collect.

Reevaluate why you’re doing what you’re doing.
Yeah, I definitely wasn’t too clear with why I want to tec dive. I have three main reasons. First, I can get closer to diving my bucket list of shipwrecks. I love the history and being able to see them in person would be a dream come true. Secondly I want to be able to spend longer in my local dive sites. I love just chilling with the fish and exploring and being able to spend a little longer there would be awesome. Lastly, I’m obsessed with the science and want to learn as much as I can. Scientific articles and talks only get me so far.

Despite all that I do admit that I want the cert at least partly just for the cert and to say I’m a tec diver. I appreciate your comment and that’s definitely something I need to pay more attention to so that it doesn’t overshadow my other reasons.

. . . Despite all that I do admit that I want the cert at least partly just for the cert and to say I’m a tec diver.
There's nothing wrong with the self-satisfaction that comes from having successfully done enough training and having gotten enough experience that you're able to do some challenging diving. But the cert itself? Nobody cares. You shouldn't, either. It's not the cert that makes the diver. It's the training, practice, experience, etc., that matters. I try to keep in mind that people learned to do this stuff before the certs were invented. You'll run into crusty old timers who have done thousands of really challenging dives, and it won't even occur to you to think about what cert cards they have--you'll just be in awe of their abilities. My brand-new cert card that says "____ Diver" (whether the blank is a rec, tec or whatever course name) doesn't make me a "____ Diver." It's what I got out of the training and, moreover, the further post-training experience I'll gain over many dives, that might make me a ______ Diver.

Several have given great recommendations. I agree that you should keep the end in mind and don't rush to get there, the journey can be a lot of fun.

I would add that a shop dive with instructors are good ways to get constructive feedback on where you are right now and what you need to improve before moving on. Just ask the instructor to watch you during the shop/club dive. You are both there anyways, you will likely be in the water at the same time and they can get a general idea of where you are. If that isn't available, pay for a one on one dive to assess level. The hardest part about this is not knowing what you don't know. In other words, you don't know how you look, you don't know if you are doing something wrong. Getting that information can save you a lot of money and time.

My local dive shop is East Coast Divers. I’ll definitely take the tech fundamentals class then! Seems like the best option at the moment.
There is something to be said about going to different places/people and getting different perspectives. This is not to discount ECD in the slightest, just that moving around and taking a class that will introduce you to a new group of divers and a potential new perspective is a very powerful thing. I would urge you to at least interview Heather and/or Dave at NADE prior to taking that intro to tech type course.

I do currently talk a lot with the tec divers and tec instructors at my local dive shop and they are definitely people I would want to keep training under.
No. You want to talk to as many different people and shops as possible. Sticking with one shop is not a good idea.

Earlier someone suggested to get in touch with Dave Caldwell/ Heather Knowles. That is who you should be talking to.

I do currently talk a lot with the tec divers and tec instructors at my local dive shop and they are definitely people I would want to keep training under.
Are they actually doing the dives you aspire to? Or just selling you bullsheet and classes?

Hey mate I know how much thought and love you put into choosing your picture dude

but somebody already has it

536903.jpg

Happy doing whatever it is you are doing for whatever reason you are doing it

Have you heard of multiquote

I know that if I were craving information and started a thread I would read all the links put by the people

Yes for diving of most great importance is spatial awareness, all the rest is just using tools dude

Yes, do more diving before even thinking about it. Way more diving!

Hey mate I know how much thought and love you put into choosing your picture dude

but somebody already has it

View attachment 826125

Happy doing whatever it is you are doing for whatever reason you are doing it

Have you heard of multiquote

I know that if I were craving information and started a thread I would read all the links put by the people

Yes for diving of most great importance is spatial awareness, all the rest is just using tools dude

He can keep it. I like to change mine regularly on other forums, here is no different really.

I'm in a very similar situation to you. Relatively few dives but multiple check the box certifications. I dove into tech, and it's been quite an interesting and challenging experience. The biggest thing is that it's made me realize how few actual skills I had going in, despite my multiple "advanced" certifications. I'm totally comfortable being a seahorse underwater and pushing and kicking off of structure to adjust my position. But had no sense of true buoyancy and trim, and I couldn't make fine adjustments to position without pushing off of things or flailing wildly with my hands. I could have continued for 100s more dives having fun but reinforcing my awful technique and never getting any better.

So, I think it's helpful to get into it early. My mistake was to rush in and trying to learn everything at once. If I could go back, I would have spent substantial time with a high quality instructor to first nail down buoyancy, trim, and finning techniques. Once I got to the point where I can position myself effortlessly in the water and go forwards, backwards, and round and round without thinking about it (I'm not nearly there yet), I'd then take formal tech training.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom