DIR- GUE GUE DPV class: Experiences? Worth it? What do you learn?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
S

steinbil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Background:
I don't currently own a DPV, and I'm currently saving up for Tech 1, but I can rent decent SUEX scooters from my local dive club where I do most of my diving these days. I've only tried a DPV once, on a shallow 20 min try-dive, and while it felt OK I was definitely aware of much higher task loading and wanting a third hand. Buoyancy was not too bad, as I was expecting that to be a challenge, but communicating with my buddy and doing simple things like checking my SPG was harder, as moving my primary light to the temporary hold was hard when I was already holding the DPV handle. I realize I could have let go of the DPV more than I did, but having to stop to check my SPG and not lose sight of my buddy etc. was taxing me mentally. All this to say, I'm inexperienced with DPVs and I realize there is much I could learn to get comfortable handling extra equipment like a DPV...

Questions:
- Has anybody here taken a GUE DPV class? If so, how was it? Do you recommend taking it?
- What do you learn in the GUE DPV class? What topics are covered?
- I heard GUE has taken some flack for offering this class, is it really not a necessary class? Should I just dive in and learn as I go?

My motivation for taking the class is getting more comfortable and confident using a DPV, so I can still enjoy the dives and be a good buddy and not just task fixating. Also, I like taking classes, and while I'm preparing for a Tech 1 class next year (hopefully), I wouldn't mind taking a class and learning something new and fun.

I'd love to hear from GUE divers with experience taking the class, or experienced GUE divers that learned DPV on their own, and also instructors teaching this class.
@AnnikaPersson @mer @johnkendall @kierentec

That situation sounds pretty f&cked, sorry that happened.

FWIW, I can tell you with 100% certainty that around here you can take the class with multiple makes and models including a Blacktip. Heck, my potential teammate for the Jan class will be diving a Gavin - he is lurking and can pop in if he wants to.
Sure, I'll pop in. I'm definitely planning on using my vintage Gavin (short-body) for DPV1 in January and the GUE instructor we've been talking to is nothing but supportive of that -- he thinks having a variety of DPV types in the class is an advantage as people get to see and experience different options.

Since acquiring the Gavin early last year, I've still only made a couple of dives with it (due to reasons), but I'm hoping to get some more experience before DPV1.

Edited to add: Don't worry @PfcAJ, he hasn't talked me into taking Rec 3.

- Setting up DPV (tow cords, carry handle, trim/buoyancy)
- Handling the DPV on the trigger & off trigger.
- Planning your dive with consideration to your trigger time as well as your gas & deco obligations.
- Emergency cases (Out of gas, dead DPV, run-away DPV)
- Maintaining team formation, straight lines, turning, obstacles, speed matching, etc.
- Some DPV maintenance, concerns regarding the pitch adjustment propellers (easily broken if not disassembled/reassembled with care).
- How to enter/exit water with DPVs.
- Narrowed focus and reduced situational awareness (Grey whale swam in front of me & I didn't even see it).

Course took 3 days if I recall correctly. Can someone get you up to speed w/o the course, I'm sure. However the entire point of the course is to learn new skills but also to practice those skills & have someone assess. I'm certain I can add to the bullet point above. Post completion, I knew how to handle the DPV but it remained a far cry from proficiency.

If you require a DPV to perform tech dives in your area, I would get lots of trigger time under your belt before taking Tech 1.

I have done the GUE DPV class and I was very happy that I did. Already had some experience with a DPV beforehand but still learned a lot.

Topics covered:
- Skills such as S-drills, valve drills with a DPV positioned between your legs
- Basis skills such as maneuvering the DPV, team positioning, navigation, speed matching etc.
- Planning: burn time, gas management etc.
- Towing and gas sharing
- Managing a runaway DPV (fist at slow speed and then a second time at full speed)
- Some fun exercises to work on our overall DPV skills such as following a line and clipping double enders on and off without stopping the DPV.

We used different types of DPV's. I owned a Divertug at the time, but also Suex and Bonex DPV's were used, The DPV's were rotated between participants.

The explanation given to me by my instructor when doing DPV was that the DPV itself acts as a magnifying glass for problems occuring underwater. So you already have some errors or failures happening but now you're speeding along behind your DPV and all of a sudden you lost your teammate, bury your face in the dirt because you forgot to add air to your wing and you increased your depht, you have a runaway scooter pulling you either into the depths or to the surface or there is suddenly an obstacle in your way and you need to stop NOW.
All this, and more is taught. Stow positions, team formations and so on, and so on. I found it a usefull course and enjoyed doing it.

What are the DPV requirements for the class?
Per the course standards page (https://www.gue.com/files/standards9/DPV1-Standards-v9.1.pdf):

An approved DPV is one that is tow-behind style with adjustable speed and clutch mechanism.The DPV must include an attached cord at the back with a bolt snap to be clipped on the front crotch strap D-ring and a leash attached to the front to be used for towing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom