Dive Connection San Diego Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ALAN243

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I normally don't do this but, figure that this will save someone else the frustration that I went thru..

Decided
Friday 9/4 to head to SD from Salt Lake. went online and booked a 2 tank to the yukon/ruby e thru Dive connection website. Also called to confirm, left a message..... This was a 1pm depart, got into SD about 430am pst, slept for a couple of hours then off to the boat for a great wreck dive or so I thought.... Arrive 1230pst at DCI office, check in and pay, people start to arrive, getting excited about the dive, had to ask 3 times about nitrox that I had ordered, finally got that onboard and analyzed. Everyone is ready to go, no Captain, finally Captain shows at 230, everyone onboard, starts breifing about the kelp, I'm saying to myself ***, so i ask, "OH were going to the kelp forest not the wrecks, I go whoa now. I booked and paid for a wreck dive, the DM says go talk to RICH the owner. So up to the office, ask WTH is going on I booked a wreck dive paid for a wreck dive and we are going to the kelp? Rich says I called and told someone that there wasn't enough to go to the wrecks, I ask who did you call as my cell number was what I used to register. His reply was someone.... Since I had just drove 12 hrs to go dive, figured lets go, So off to the kelp, get there, we have a bunch of fresh certs on board, Capt is calling on the radio on the way out for coordinates my confidence is waining at this point, get to a kelp bed he ANCHORS RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE, THE KELP IS SO THICK YOU CAN'T EVEN GET OFF THE BOAT. two people had to have the divemaster go get them because the kelp was so thick. I kelp crawl to the anchor line and follow it down, finally in the water and life is better..... Viz was AWESOME, lots of fish, finish dive head up, get to ladders, they are so covered in kelp you can stand on the rungs to get in the boat..... Finally everyone on board, they start to serve soup, the divemaster called it "chicken skin" soup, thanksfully I passed but it didn't look good..... Everyone asks where the 2nd dive is going to be, and the Capt . says we aren't moving. This is a good spot... You can tell everyone is disappointed. More than half decided to sit out the 2nd dive... The swell was pretty big and a few were getting sick....

I have never been on a more poorly run, unprofessional orginazation that DCI, Rich the owner tell me he will comp me a trip, I tell him just refund my money because I will not be coming back. Looks like I will have to call the credit card company...

Would I recommend them HELL NO!!!!! The only good thing was the Divemaster Rod, that poor guy worked his ASK OFF to save people and make sure that everyone was safe...Went to Laguna for a shore dive on sunday, AMAZING!!!!!!!

Sorry for the rant....

Yup, DCI has three boats and you never know who they hire to be captain for the day. Sometime good, other times....well you found out. My three choices are: Marissa, LoisAnn, & Humbold (Waterhorse Charters) and you will find that many here on SB will agree with me.
Post next time you head our way and we'll try to help out. The wrecks can be fun so give it another shot.

Waterhorse is highly recommended. I also have had bad, though not quite so bad, experiences with Dive Connections. Waterhorse always does everything professionally and safely. I especially recommend their 3 tank trips, lots of bottom time.

Rob

I also highly recommend Waterhorse. I went down to SD as part of a 3-day PADI Wreck class I was taking. Ryan, Lee, Anita, and the others really took great care of us, helping us load up so we could leave on time and move tanks to be filled for the next day of diving. Ryan always gave out very good details of the dive sites while the rest of the crew were always checking on everyone to make sure we were all doing well (some of us weren't dealing with motion sickness very well). The food that they had on board was definitely great stuff. On the last day of diving, Ryan even caught my attention to alert me to some eels that were hiding in some crevices so I could take their pictures.

Another vote for Waterhorse Charters (Humboldt). The crew is fun and professional. They seem to be everywhere at once making sure everyone is set, having fun, being safe and they do it all while being funny, confident and making your day great. I've dove that boat 5 or 6 times now and every time Lee or Ryan has jumped in during our SI time and scouted the area for the next dive. They always come back with some great intel on things to watch for or which way the currents might push us. 1st class operation.

Seeing as she no longer works there, I doubt it. Oh, and Carl left, too.

Still, the Marissa (not the Mirassa) is a good boat for recreational charters. So is the Lois Ann (plus it's cheaper and pumps nitrox).

Oh, and yeah, this isn't the first negative DCI report I've read. Seems like you'd be better off with the Marissa, Lois Ann, or Humboldt in the future. Sucks about your dives, especially given the distance you had to drive!

I've been on the Lois Ann several times. Each time I was served well by the Captain and crew.

I tried to get on waterhorse but they were booked, and with the drive down we got into SD at 430am on saturday so an afternoon was all we had and sunday marissa and waterhorse were both booked already....... Live and Learn at least the viz was good for a shore dive on sunday

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom