Introduction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello Divers! Though we have had a presence in SoCal for years, we are new to ScubaBoard and wanted to introduce ourselves. We are Deep Blue Scuba and Swim Center located in Long Beach California. We are a PADI 5 Star IDC and technical rebreather training center. Our shop has existed as a dive shop since the 1950's and has been here as Deep Blue since 2010.
We pride ourselves in our community involvement, environmental awareness, and high standards of customer service. Please contact us if we can assist you in exploring the underwater world in SoCal or elsewhere. Thanks for reading!

Welcome guys! Now I know what dive shop I'll pop into next time I'm in SoCal. What model rebreathers do you offer certs on?

Welcome guys! Now I know what dive shop I'll pop into next time I'm in SoCal. What model rebreathers do you offer certs on?
Thanks for the welcome! We currently offer training on the Titan rebreather and will be working with other units as we move into 2015.

Welcome!

These guys were nice enough to provide gear for some of my students for the clean up dive in Long Beach this weekend- thanks again!

Location other than "Long Beach?"

Address?

Telephone number?

etc etc etc...

sdm

Thanks for your interest! We are located at 11 39th Place, Long Beach CA 90803. Our # is 562.434.1604 and if you type "deepbluelongbeach" into your search bar our website should find you.

---------- Post added September 24th, 2014 at 06:05 PM ----------

TC:
Welcome!

These guys were nice enough to provide gear for some of my students for the clean up dive in Long Beach this weekend- thanks again!
Thanks for the recognition! We are always happy to support ocean clean up!

You are the new owners of what was once known as "Hogan's" Aka "Underwater sports shop." I knew Bill well and helped him move from Second street to the present location at he base of the pier in the late 1950s. Bill was an LA Co UW instructor as we all were. His shop instructor was also LA Co Underwater Instructor as well as NAUI instructor #4 and is still alive and well living in Oregon

I also knew Tom via our membership in the Long Beach Neptunes, which your shop always supported since both were established. I gave Tom the SDM issue that you feature in your advertisement. It had been forgotten with the passage of time and the lack of historical interest of the previous owners. As I recall it was photographed by the late Ron Church whose wife is alive and his daughter has a web site dedicated to Ron's memory

There is an over abundance of incorrect statements in the history of the shop that should be corrected before it becomes accepted as fact by the current modern diver.

Lots of history associated with Hogans. Possibly one of the oldest if not the oldest continually active dive shop in California and certainly the US. With the closing of Sea D Sea last year this leaves only Div N Surf and Hogan's competing for the title as the oldest continually active shop.

So much history is and has been lost

SDM

Last edited:
You are the new owners of what was once known as "Hogan's" Aka "Underwater sports shop." I knew Bill well and helped him move from Second street to the present location at he base of the pier in the late 1950s. Bill was an LA Co UW instructor as we all were. His shop instructor was also LA Co Underwater Instructor as well as NAUI instructor #4 and is still alive and well living in Oregon

I also knew Tom via our membership in the Long Beach Neptunes, which your shop always supported since both were established. I gave Tom the SDM issue that you feature in your advertisement. It had been forgotten with the passage of time and the lack of historical interest of the previous owners. As I recall it was photographed by the late Ron Church whose wife is alive and his daughter has a web site dedicated to Ron's memory

There is an over abundance of incorrect statements in the history of the shop that should be corrected before it becomes accepted as fact by the current modern diver.

Lots of history associated with Hogans. Possibly one of the oldest if not the oldest continually active dive shop in California and certainly the US. With the closing of Sea D Sea last year this leaves only Div N Surf and Hogan's competing for the title as the oldest continually active shop.

So much history is and has been lost

SDM

Thanks for the info Sam! We feature the cover of Skin Diver on our website with a brief history of the shop. We display a blown up version of that cover on the shop along with an old Neptunes framed logo. The history of the shop, location, and community presence is certainly something we want to bring to light and preserve.

HUSSONG- UW SPORTS SHOP-DIVING-COLUMBIA- TREASURE-HISTORY--DEEP BLUE

~~ Historical...minimum interest to the modern diver ~~

Last edited:
Welcome to ScubaBoard. Haven't been in the shop since the change in ownership. Will have to drop by.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom