Shore Diving La Jolla

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AWoodwell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all,

My girlfiend and I are staying in La Jolla this weekend. Wanted to get a couple dives in. Normally we dive guided tours from boats. Calling around, most local shops seem pretty pricey for a shore dive. More what I would expect to pay for a boat dive. Anyway, thinking of diving La Jolla unguided. Seems like a well dove spot with easy entries. Anyone think this is a good/bad idea. If it seems reasonable, anyone have any suggestions for exactly where to dive?

Thanks,

Aaron

I dove La Jolla Cove and the Marine Room with my girlfriend. It was our first dive after becoming certified.

I see you are also in Phoenix. You probably certified in Lake Pleasant then. Keep in mind that the ocean will actually have waves and surge that you have to deal with. This was the most exhausting part for my girlfriend and I on our first dives. The lake doesn't have this. If you can deal with the surge, you'll be fine. Get down about 10-15 feet, and the surge wont bother you anymore.

If I remember correctly, Marine Room was a better dive for us newbies. I was also told that Children's Pool was a good dive for new divers, but the beach at Children's Pool was closed due to sea lion mating season.

---------- Post added July 1st, 2015 at 02:36 PM ----------

Here is the website I used to find dive spots in the San Diego area, by the way.

It may help you pick out a few shore dives.

I dove La Jolla Cove and the Marine Room with my girlfriend. It was our first dive after becoming certified.

I see you are also in Phoenix. You probably certified in Lake Pleasant then. Keep in mind that the ocean will actually have waves and surge that you have to deal with. This was the most exhausting part for my girlfriend and I on our first dives. The lake doesn't have this. If you can deal with the surge, you'll be fine. Get down about 10-15 feet, and the surge wont bother you anymore.

If I remember correctly, Marine Room was a better dive for us newbies. I was also told that Children's Pool was a good dive for new divers, but the beach at Children's Pool was closed due to sea lion mating season.

---------- Post added July 1st, 2015 at 02:36 PM ----------

Here is the website I used to find dive spots in the San Diego area, by the way.

It may help you pick out a few shore dives.

Hey there, this definitely wouldn't be our first ocean dive. Since becoming certified in November we've racked up about 20 dives in Hawaii and Mexico. Just curious, when you dove La Jolla did you go at it alone or with a guide?

We dove alone. No guide. We just used that website.

A tip for that website though, click on the pictures. Some of them have more information if you click on them. Usually the last one that shows the entire area has arrows that tell you were to park, stage and dive. Also, read the comments. Often times people will tell you their favorite parts of the dive, or the best time of year to dive there.

---------- Post added July 1st, 2015 at 02:55 PM ----------

One more tip for La Jolla. Pick out a dive shop, before hand, that will fill/rent your tanks. When we went there, I was surprised to find that the first two dive shops I went into didn't fill scuba tanks. I eventually found a Sport Chalet that did, but they were like 25 minutes from me.

We dove alone. No guide. We just used that website.

A tip for that website though, click on the pictures. Some of them have more information if you click on them. Usually the last one that shows the entire area has arrows that tell you were to park, stage and dive. Also, read the comments. Often times people will tell you their favorite parts of the dive, or the best time of year to dive there.

---------- Post added July 1st, 2015 at 02:55 PM ----------

One more tip for La Jolla. Pick out a dive shop, before hand, that will fill/rent your tanks. When we went there, I was surprised to find that the first two dive shops I went into didn't fill scuba tanks. I eventually found a Sport Chalet that did, but they were like 25 minutes from me.

I have dived La Jolla several times and rented tanks for all of them. (same dive shop)

I have never heard of a dive shop that can't fill tanks or have tanks to rent. With this post, it seems you found two! Do you remember what their names were? I would like to make sure I avoid them.

No, I don't remember them sadly. I think one of them was fairly close to La Jolla Cove, but I don't remember it's name. That shop did say that they used to fill tanks, but do not do it any more.

I think the other shop was up by Oceanside.

We ended up at a Sport Chalet near my brother's apartment in Vista. After filling the tanks, the Sport Chalet told me they might not fill one of my tanks the next time I bring it in. I guess they don't like aluminum tanks made in the mid 80's.

Haven't ever had a problem filling my tanks in Phoenix. The local dive shops and the Sport Chalets around here fill my tanks.

Hey all,

My girlfiend and I are staying in La Jolla this weekend. Wanted to get a couple dives in. Normally we dive guided tours from boats. Calling around, most local shops seem pretty pricey for a shore dive. More what I would expect to pay for a boat dive. Anyway, thinking of diving La Jolla unguided. Seems like a well dove spot with easy entries. Anyone think this is a good/bad idea. If it seems reasonable, anyone have any suggestions for exactly where to dive?

Thanks,

Aaron

Here is a guy who may be able to help you out.

SCUBA DIVE MASTER TOURS OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA

Here is another one. I don't know if they are the same person.

SCUBA DIVE MASTER TOURS OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA

Bill
dead dog

Last edited:
That shop did say that they used to fill tanks, but do not do it any more.
OEXpress, they stopped a few years ago. There's an IBDiving satellite shop in La Jolla. There's a Sport Chalet at University Town Center in La Jolla Village - up the hill north from the Cove. All of them are listed on the DiveBums website ^.

Parking will be the issue at the Cove so get there real early. Especially on this weekend. Half of Phoenix is probably there this weekend.

Start on the north side (one way south on Cave till it turns into Coast) and follow it down. If you see a space - grab it. If you get to the turn-around and haven't found anything, drop gear/buddy there (quickly so be ready - IIRC it's marked no waiting) and continue up the hill bearing left on Coast past the park and up into town. Double back and drive along Prospect and there's a tall(for LaJolla) bank building with a paid parking garage on the left. The stairs there lead down to where your buddy is waiting - they end at the turn-around. If that garage is full, there could be parking in another lot farther east still in "downtown" - not sure if it's still there.

La Jolla this weekend though - Whew!! - I'd get there real early. Work out a way to get tanks the night before if possible, Sport Chalet has normal hours so by the time you'd get tanks and get back Saturday morning, the parking will be gone. It's not as good a dive but the Shores nearby has a bigger lot. Sometimes you see some big pelagics in the submarine canyon off there.

Thanks for all the help everyone, should come in handy. Doesn't sound too challenging. Diversteve, yup, just Google Earthed the parking area by the cove entrance and it looks like a nightmare, lol.

Back
Top Bottom