Mid-week diving in SoCal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bobbobson

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

So my girlfriend and I are traveling to California in a few weeks for a wedding, and while there we wanted to try and do some diving. Unfortunately both weekends we're there are booked full, so our only option is to dive during the week for 1 day. We already contacted a few dive shops, but it seems that there aren't any boats going out during the week. One even told us 'no boats run in California on Tuesday' (although maybe he was talking about his shop...). Is this really the case or does anyone know of anything?

We are pretty flexible on location (looking around Santa Barbara, Ventura, or Los Angeles) and to be specific about the timing, are looking for preferably September 14, although the 13th or 15th could also work. Since we are only moderately experienced (60 dives for me and 120 for her) and we've never dove in California we don't want to be diving on our own. Thanks for the help and sorry for the odd question.

Things to know - DM's on most of the SoCal boats stay on the boat. So if you want a guide, you'll probably need to hire one. Most of the boats will have people available if you contact them. Also inquire about tanks, most provide them but not all do. And if you need DIN specify that as well.

I think that the shop you spoke to meant no one does Tuesday diving - at least no one I know of. Many of the Monday dives are also 3rd-day weekend dives so that won't work for you either.

Here's the list of all the diveboats - many have schedules on their websites. California Dive Boats : The Official Page

A few Sept. 13 options on boats I know something about:

Ocean Safari (dive shop) has the Peace booked on the 13th - maybe they have spaces available. Peace is out of Ventura. They might want you on the boat late on the 12th also - ask about it. Ocean Safari Scuba | Upcoming Scuba Dive Trips to the Channel Islands and Beyond

Raptor also - going to Anacapa - think lots of friendly Sea Lions. Scheduled Raptor Dive Trip Calendar Also out of Ventura.

If you don't mind driving down to Long Beach, Great Escape has an open boat on the 13th to Farnsworth Banks - generally good diving. Great Escape Southern California Scuba Dive Boat Calendar
SunDiver Express also has a 3-tank to Catalina Island on the 13th. Boards at 6AM. https://my.getinsellout.com/provide...-tank-catalina/info?cb=0&pl=-1#horizontalTab1

If you're staying north of L.A. that means leave at 5AM - maybe a little earlier - to get there in time - you never know with traffic although Sunday morning shouldn't be terrible.

If you don't mind driving a few hours south to San Diego for Sunday diving, the Humboldt has a two tank kelp trip the morning of the 13th and a wreck trip that afternoonWhat is your budget for the two of you? I can point you to a private boat I've used before and a couple of dive guides that could go out with you, and they could probably fill a few spots for you reducing costs. PM me with your details and I'll provide more info

---------- Post added August 25th, 2015 at 03:53 PM ----------

There's always the option of taking the ferry to Catalina and diving in the park there, your schedule, and really no guide needed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom