Sony RX100 ii + Aquaplazza + S-2000 + Inon LD Lenses -- Newby setup advice needed pls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmason

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi. I'm a new member (first post) and a reasonably experienced diver and amateur photographer (even that statement might be ambitious). I'm taking the leap from point and click 'off the shelf' to hopefully a life of better underwater photography. I had some time in the Philippines earlier this year and struggled immensely with my fujifilm exr550 'off the shelf' bundle. I have a 'dry' canon slr with lenses and have been getting familiar with manual settings for the past year. Translating that to my underwater requirements it was clear that i needed to upgrade. The cost of putting my slr underwater was frankly shocking! So i had a think and my requirements were to remain compact and light for travelling, improve (hopefully significantly) on my old camera and not have to remortgage the house. So i just took the plunge with the kit listed in the title, i heard and read nothing but good things about rx100 ii and so far i'm very impressed with this camera, but a little overwhelmed with getting the thing set up right and what i need to get me going underwater. Hopefully i'm in the right place for a little help?

1. The housing has 2 ports for optical cables in front of the camera's flash unit. I'm only using 1, should i blank the other somehow or just leave it open?
2. My 'rig' uses a nauticam tray with 1" ball joint arms, should these be lubricated or left dry for normal use?
3. I think that the camera operates in TTL flash mode but i can't see anything in the docs to confirm it. The Inon S-2000 fires perfectly in S-TTL mode with camera set to forced flash - is that setup correctly or are there further steps?
4. I think i will need an additional video / focus light and i'm not sure which way to go - I've looked at the Sola 1200 S/F. I wan't to keep things compact and not over spec in line with the rest of the kit. I also started thinking that this 'could' make for an interesting primary in spot mode for night dives (without the camera) if used with the optional hand grip (it is far brighter than my current primary) - could this be used for both purposes or should i look to keep things seperate? Additionally, how would you mount a single video light along with a single strobe - do i need a tray with two handles to achieve this or can / should i use the aquaplazza housing as the base for the video light - or mabye some other configuration - there seems to be a lot of options?
5. Whats going on with blocks of foam i'm seeing in pics - i assume this is a neutral buoyancy thing? Is this something that i should pay attention too?

All advice and comments are welcome, i'm just getting started really and appreciate a little direction - i'm returning to the Philippines in 6 weeks time and hopefully this time with a camera that can take half decent pics / video.

I should also state that my photography preference runs through the entire spectrum - critters, paleagics, night dives, wrecks, caves, reefs - event the mrs. on her better days.

1) I would definitely block off the other port
2) No need to lubricate them, just rinse well after diving
3)Yes, TTL, even in manual mode. I believe you've got it correct.
4) You would need a two handle tray to mount strobe & video lights unless your housing has a cold-shoe mount or similar.
5) The foam blocks are to add buoyancy, yes.

You can get a cold shoe with a locline to put a Sola light. If you get at least the dive 800 that does spot and flood so you don't need a torch

Will be very similar to this Panasonic LX7 Photo Rig | Interceptor121 Underwater Video

Thanks for your replies. After a little reading i'm tempted to add another strobe. My housing has both m10 and m6 threads on the top so a video light mount could be done successfully from there similar to the LX7 pic Interceptor121 posted, except without the hot shoe of course. I see the sola dive 800, is this a good enough flood to use for video? I see that sola offer a dive and photo version of this light.

PS. James - What is commonly used to block off unused ports?

Last edited:
The Sola Photo lights are flood only so not good as a dive light for night dive hence my suggestion for the sola dive 800. Plenty as a dive light and more than adequate as focus light. As video light is the minimum this days

If you can afford the 1200 then do it. I personally have the photo 800 and it is great for a focus light and I use it as my primary during night dives. But for daylight video it does not reach very far. So bigger is better.
As for placement, if you mount it directly on the housing then you can have backscatter as an issue as the light is nearly directly in line with the lens (same issue as with using the camera's flash). So may be better to put it on a arm to get it away from the housing.

As for two strobes... well everyone will tell you two is better than one. So again if you can afford it then go for it. I cant afford it so only have one strobe and the focus/ video light.
I'm surprised Interceptor121 hasn't told you that the S2000 is under powered for the Sony. :wink:
I would suggest you use the S2000 for now and when you can afford it buy a Z240 as your primary strobe and the S2000 will be your secondary one.

The other two things you should look at getting is a macro lens (must have for the Sony) and a WA lens.
Welcome to the bottomless pit of spending! You may need to morgage your house after all. ha ha

The dive 800 is good a spot and ok for macro video and focus light
Not good for wide close or daylight for sure
Yes the s2000 is under powered but he has it already and for macro is good and it will work
For the RX100 wide work you want two YS-D1 or Z240

Personally I'd keep the system as clutter free as possible.

When I started photography a couple of years back I was like you: experienced diver, new to photography. It took me a fair while to get the basics in my thick head but I started to get some pleasing shots. I spent a lot of hours in or around 6-9m of water- plenty of light, no deco stress, less gas used etc. Learning about 'light and time' is one thing no land- another thing entirely underwater.

Only after maybe 100hrs? did I feel that I needed 'something more' and so I invested (I like to think) in a simple strobe. Getting to grips with that set me back again, but now I'm understanding the basics and again, I spent a lot of time in the shallows. By that time I was comfortable going 'manual' with the strobe from the start- I never used TTL.

The Philippines often has some great house reef dives for photography. If possible get as much dive time on these reefs. Getting the most out of your photography while trying to be in a guided group from the boat is impossible. It's a steep learning curve but you do need time to sort it out.

I found video to be much easier than taking stills.

Back
Top Bottom