Focusing Sony RX100 in video mode during a night dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cleomagic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Heading out to Hawaii in a week. Last dive trip in Bonaire, I noticed my Sony RX100 was having a difficult time focusing during a night dive. Has anyone else experienced this? Any recommendations on how to fix it? I want to make sure when I am out for the Manta Ray or Black Water dive, I know what to do if I run into this problem again.

I am using a Sola 800 (just upgraded to Sola 1200) to help with the focusing. What I am finding is if the object swims out of frame (multiple Tarpon on a night dive in Bonaire, for example), then the camera will focus on the particulates, and will take a little time to focus on the next Tarpon that comes into frame. Is there a way to tell the camera to focus on infinity so, I don't have this issue?

Hi Interceptor - I knew you would have an answer :)

I set up one of my shortcut buttons to allow me to toggle between auto and manual - will try it out on land a couple of times to train my fingers before heading into the water this weekend.

Thanks!

Hi Interceptor - I knew you would have an answer :)

I set up one of my shortcut buttons to allow me to toggle between auto and manual - will try it out on land a couple of times to train my fingers before heading into the water this weekend.

Thanks!

Read this post Underwater Video Tips: Best video settings for Sony RX100 | Interceptor121 Underwater Photo & Video Blog

The best is to take off tracking focus from the centre button. Once the camera has focussed and you click on center it will stay there. If you have sufficient depth of field there won't be problems

Back
Top Bottom