Galapagos or Palau in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catQB

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are planning a big trip this January (for our Honeymoon) we had wanted to go to the Galapagos in November but unfortunately work got in the way!

We are unsure whether we have missed the best time for diving in the Galapagos and had wondered about a trip to Micronesia - Palau - instead.

Does anyone have any experience of diving in the Galapagos in January or even better both the Galapagos and Palau and have any advice / recommendations?

We are considering either the aggressor in Galapagos or the Siren live aboard in Palau.

Thanks so much in advance!

Live and let's dive!

Cat x

Note, having been to Palau and only seen video of Galapagos, I'd say Palau, while good, is well below the Galapagos in terms of big fish size and size of schools. I suppose there are few places in the world that would compare to the Galapagos. Other places like Indonesia are really neat in terms of every fish under the sun and sizes of schools, but for big predators in the hundreds like Galapagos, I'd say that would be a very short list of comparable places, perhaps nearly zero at least for what you could go to on a commercially established boat. YOu'll see sharks and rays and maybe whalsharks in Palau, but like maybe 15-20 (sharks) on a dive, while Galapagos can have a lot more and maybe hundreds.

From another angle, Palau is super easy to dive with incredible views and underwater sights, and while there can be big current, it's usually drift diving, while Galapagos is relatively cold water, and you are clinging to a rock for part of the dive, but you saw a divers dream. For ease of diving and relaxing and enjoying the vacation, Palau would be an easier choice, but it depends on your interest. I'd want to enjoy the diving but the focus would still be on spending time together with the mate, rather than resting up for the next dive, while your head reels from what you saw on the last one. Again, this is going to be person-specific and your interest on what your priority and health is. The last thing I'll mention is how many dives you get. THey were limiting dives in the Galapagos to like 3 per day, while you will do 4-5 a day in Palau.

I went to Galapagos in January and it was the best diving experience I have had. Here is the trip report It may not be the best time for whale sharks but I saw so many other creatures my eyes were popping out of my head!

I am due to go to Palau in March so I don't have any first hand experience of it but form research and talking to those who have, it is definitely a very good destination. As good as it gets in the Pacific I reckon. Against most destinations Palau would compare very well as it is definitely up there... but against Galapagos? Almost nothing compares...

Thank you so much Shasta_man and OntheSpot, it's so helpful to hear from folk who have been to the Galapagos. We figure it's a once in a lifetime trip so want to make sure we do it at the best possible time and were worried we would miss some of the bigger bad boys leaving it until January.

My heart says Galapagos I think!

Thanks again!

Cat x

We have been to both and they are both stellar diving experiences! We were in the Galapagos in August and the experience of diving with whale sharks is incredible!!!! I would save that trip so you can go during whale shark season!! Nothing like it!
I am not sure if they are still there in Jan. It is cold but you are so excited when you see the whale sharks you forget the cold. We also absolutely loved Palau and it seems that Jan. is a great time to go there. We went in March and had an awesome time from start to finish! Have fun!

Hello,

I dove Palau in May of this year:

Diving Destinations - Palau Diving - Inked Adventurer

And am currently in the Galapagos diving here (shore based from Puerto Ayora). Yesterday I dove Floreana Island and dove with seals, rays, white tips, octopus and rays...

Diving Destinations - Galapagos - Floreana Island

Today I dove Gordon Rocks and it was the best dive day of my life (and I've done Tubbataha, Sipadan, Palau, etc)… marble rays, Mola Mola, Hammerheads, spotted eagle rays, seals, and lots of other schools of fish. It was insane. I'm working on the blog post at the moment so if it doesn't work at the moment (9pm on 12/23/14) that's why.

http://wp.me/p5fDFr-1k2

Unfortunately, I'm only shooting with a go pro, so the photos don't do it justice but it is truly a special place and I hope you picked here over Palau if diving is your focus… although Palau has lots of other awesome activities such as Jellyfish Lake, sea Kayaking, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom