SeaLife SL960 Strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

White Knight

Contributor
Reaction score
Divers,

I am new to underwater photography and received an underwater camera and strobe setup from Santa--the new SeaLife CD600 camera and SL960 Stobe. My question, " The stobe does not support use of a cable from camera to strobe like most of their other models do. Consequently, I can not muffle the camera flash." Isn't this going to cause significant backscatter of does this setup have some defense against that that I am missing. Thanks in advance for the advice. I am out of my element but eager to learn.

The DC600 I saw came with an optical fiber cable. One end plugs into the strobe and the other covers the DC600's internal flash (clamps onto the UW housing lens ring). Camera flash goes off, flash is picked up by the fiber optic cable and fires the SL960. I can't recall if the FO end completely covers the DC600 housing flash outlet or just part of it.

You can buy a diffuser for the strobe. It is very effective, especially on night dives.

I believe the SL960 already has a diffuser on it. Plus there is a adjustment knob on the back of the strobe.

Dwight

The DC600 I saw came with an optical fiber cable. One end plugs into the strobe and the other covers the DC600's internal flash (clamps onto the UW housing lens ring). Camera flash goes off, flash is picked up by the fiber optic cable and fires the SL960. I can't recall if the FO end completely covers the DC600 housing flash outlet or just part of it.

This is how my dc600 came I recieved the "elite" kit last christmas, and the FO cable does cover the housing flash, the pre-flash fires the strobe.

It appears that not all SL960 strobes come with the cable connecting the flashes together! In any case, I went to the dive shop that Santa purchased it and I was able to exchange my SL960 for another one possessing the connection cable as I determined I needed. Not sure why all Stobes don't come set up for this. It appears to be standard practice?

All is well that ends well. Thanks, everyone for your help!!!

Just FYI, I have the same setup. The LCD screen on the camera is brite, so the pictures that you think are ok, turn out dark on your computer. Experiment around a bit with the strobe. You will end up taking picts that you think are too brite on the camera, but turn out fine on the computer.

Back
Top Bottom