Ikelite AF35 Auto Flash flex arm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Piratelooksat40

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a question about the Ikelite AF35 Auto flash. I just purchased an Ikelite housing for my Nikon Coolpix and the AF35 Autoflash. I am very new to this so if I am asking a stupid question feel free to let me know. But when I put everything together the Flexible part of the arm for the flash has quite a bit of give. Meaning if I set up the flash in the position that I want and move the camera, the flash moves out of the position I set it in. I realize that I am not in the water, so gravity is not my friend but I don't want to pay all this money, then go diving and have this be a problem.

Is this normal for a flash?

I bought the AF35 for my Canon A570 before we went to the Keys this February. I agree it is quite floppy out of the water, but it was never a problem for me in the water. You can flex it into some pretty weird positions and it should stay there.

I messed around with different power settings on the strobe (and different presets on the camera) for days and wasn't happy with the colors until I decided to just put the strobe on "Full" and then adjust the F-Stop (f8 usually) and Shutter Speed (1/125) on my camera in manual mode.

Here are some pics I took after I started using those settings:

keys_2009_4 pictures by johnqtk5122 - Photobucket
keys_2009_5_A pictures by johnqtk5122 - Photobucket
keys_2009_5_B pictures by johnqtk5122 - Photobucket

Thanks. I am looking forward to trying it out. I head to the Keys on Friday. I have never done any underwater photography. I am looking forward to it.

Have fun! Where in the Keys are you going?

If you don't have something to put your camera gear in when you go diving, here's a suggestion - a case designed to hold 2 pistols and has foam inserts that you can cut to any shape:

camera_box.jpg

I have the AF35 and an Ikelite house. Above water the flex arm feels indeed very flexible. In the water the arm gets sturdy, also because it is then filled with water.
When carrying on land I hold the rig by the rubber grip. Under water I also use the flex arm for holding when not photographing.

Another point of considering is that the Guiding Number (GN) for underwater is 16. This means that the distance between your camera and the object must be less than about 3 feet to get enough light from the flash at f/5.6. By going to f/4 you gain a little distance, but not much.
The rule says "get close, then get closer" and that also helps when the water is not very clear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom