D2000 vs S2000, thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
Having briefly shot a S2000 micro strobe in a pool a few weeks back and then having shot a D2000 mini strobe for several years now my opinion is that the S2000 does not really pack the same punch as the D2000. Not that the D2000 is a powerful strobe, it is not as strobes go, but I think the S2000 is probably more like a GN16 to 18 instead of the rated GN20. Inon rates the D2000 and S2000 at nearly the same beam angle and the same GN20. Maybe it is just that the pattern is less round and perhaps a bit more light fall off to the edges. I don't know, just an observation that may not be fair.

I also find the controls a bit too small and the lack of External Auto a definite minus. But the small size and "cute" factor are awfully cool.

I wish I could have two of each but if two of one are all I can have and it is, then I think I prefer the D2000.

Perhaps for those with more macro interests vs wide angle the table would be turned?

Other thoughts?

N

Looking at the photos of the S2000, I've been concerned about the small controls, since much of my diving is done with gloves. Were you bare-handed?

If using the strobe in the upright position, the width/height is opposite of the camera. i.e., the strobe beam is taller than wide (according to specs).

What is better in your opinion?

two S2000 + two D2000 or two Z-240 ?

:) GHN

Leaving "better" aside I prefer the D2000 because it has the EA mode and a built in and very powerful dive light/modeling light larger controls.

If I were starting fresh I would look more at the S2000 to match my diminutive S90 and FIX housing but given that I have two D2000 strobes I cannot afford two more S2000.

I shoot most often in EA mode so obviously since the S2000 does not have that mode, well, I have two D2000s for a reason.

The controls on the S2000 are easy to work but I have big hands, with gloves, yeah, it might be a little more difficult but that is an opinion, not a fact. Each will be different there.

N

i have a S2000 and never had a problem with controls with or without gloves, although i dont change much from sttl anyway...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom