Will LED now serve instead of flash ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tafflad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Brightness & quality of LED lights now hugely improved.

So that said, is it a valid consideration to use an LED lamp for stills instead of a Strobe ? .......... that way one single light would serve both video & stills.

I don't see that given today's consumer equipment. Flash for still images requires a near instantaneous high power burst of light not only to provide sufficient brightness but to still capture motion. AFAIK, LED's do not provide the level of light necessary to do that.

There was a post about 20000 lumens lights for stills.

When I was a child, I would sometimes kill flies in my father's dark room by approaching them with a strong halogen light, and suddenly flipping the switch on... they would always fry and fall down before they have a chance to escape. I wonder what will be the effect on some of the finer components of the reef ecosystem once people start carrying those 20,000 lumens lights for their stills. I cannot wrap my head around it, I carry a 1800 lumens video light for all my diving, and even that will start to wash out colors and make things look pale once you get a bit closer.

When I was a child, I would sometimes kill flies in my father's dark room by approaching them with a strong halogen light, and suddenly flipping the switch on... they would always fry and fall down before they have a chance to escape. I wonder what will be the effect on some of the finer components of the reef ecosystem once people start carrying those 20,000 lumens lights for their stills. I cannot wrap my head around it, I carry a 1800 lumens video light for all my diving, and even that will start to wash out colors and make things look pale once you get a bit closer.

I have two 1200 lumens lights and that is plenty. I have no idea what to do with 20000 most likely wrecks without fish, not for me regardless

Back
Top Bottom