Why you should buy a Light & Motion light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
My wife bought me a Sola 600 Photo for Xmas in December 2010. It worked great for 3 years, but recently had some issues. When the charge lights wouldn't come on, I went online and read the very helpful L & M instructions for getting the light out of travel mode. When that didn't work, I called and a very nice CSR walked me through opening the light and unplugging and replugging the battery to reset the light. That worked and everything was cool for another few months. Eventually the charge signal started flashing red sequentially at high speed and the light wouldn't go on. I called up, exhausted all the remedies and then was told that since it was well out of warranty, I could send it in and they'd fix it for about $85.
I got the light back, charged it and tested it. It worked great. Last week I took it diving and oops, it flooded. I called up L & M and Jon said, "no problem, send it in and we'll take care of it of course." I returned the light to L & M with a request to please hurry, as I'm competing in the Monterey Shoot-Out this weekend and then Monday we're leaving for 10 days of diving in Alaska. One day later, I got a call from Jon, who said "We don't make the repair part for your old 600 anymore, so we're giving you a new one. I stopped in there and he handed me a nice brand new Sola 800. No Charge.
In my 61 years on this planet, I have never had better customer service. Ever.

I've always had great customer service from L&M and all but one set of video lights I've used over the last 15 years came from them. Just had the batteries replaced in my Sola 1200s and they fixed a problem with my Sola 2000s.

Thanks for this post, I'm about to order me an 800 today.

I heart my Sola light. very easy to use, pack away and always the envy of everyone on the night dives.....yes im the guy blinding you accidentally:)
havent had to deal with CS...cross my fingers

Thank you for this post - before spending that kind of money it makes a customer feel good about going ahead and doing it. My 800 will be arriving soon.

Thanks for posting your report! It makes me feel much better about the lights I just purchased from them!

But they do have some issues. I use a Sola 1200. It has been back for repairs twice in the third years of its lifespan (at no charge) But still this makes me not happy as it might fail during a dive trip. The charger is a bit awkward too. Why doesn't it have a more "normal" charging system and needs it own special adapter. The adapter is prone to corrosion to, if not completely dry, which is hard to achieve in between two dives (and it does have to be charged daily- I use it for video, so it's not even on all the time.
This year alone I've been trying all the advised actions to get it charging again (they did work indeed, but that's not what I want to be doing when on a trip) It does need to work period. As my main dive lamp I use a Hartenberger dive lamps, UW lights and UW-flash light for scuba diver and professionals whit led. It's about the same price as the Sola. It's been on approximately 400 dives and aside from service after 4 years, it didn't fail me ever. It also charges from the outside and is not as prone to corrosion, and it has a display that can tell you how often it was charged etc. etc. It is a pity they don't make video lights. The size of the Sola is unsurpassed for using it with a camera indeed. Customer service may be great, but I'd rather have a lamp that does't have issues.

I heart my Sola light. very easy to use, pack away and always the envy of everyone on the night dives.....yes im the guy blinding you accidentally:)
havent had to deal with CS...cross my fingers

I dive at night during the summer to avoid the crowds. I often find landlubbers waiting for me to surface at the end of my dives so they can find out if the bright light they saw underwater was a USO... and I almost never use my 2000s or 1200s on full power!

I dive at night during the summer to avoid the crowds. I often find landlubbers waiting for me to surface at the end of my dives so they can find out if the bright light they saw underwater was a USO... and I almost never use my 2000s or 1200s on full power!
Then why not get a weaker one like an 800?

Then why not get a weaker one like an 800?

Probably for the same reason I chose the 1200, options. You have the full 1200 lumens available if needed.

---------- Post added August 19th, 2014 at 01:16 PM ----------

HA! You are probably the reason people think UFOs are in the water off the coast there!

flatrocksreflect.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom