• Quick-Tec Pony Mount

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Q Connect

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • homemade

Votes: 13 36.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BEM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Just wondering which mounting system is the best, the one you use, or the one you would recommend (and why). I don’t intend on starting a discussion on the pony vs. doubles vs. twins debate, or tank vs. sling method, just focusing on different tank mounting systems.

“pony mount name [manufacturer] $retail cost ($best price I found)”

If you have a homemade or locally made system, please describe it.

Tiger Mount [Tiger Gear] $100
Ponease [Sea-Lutions] $?
Ultimate Pony Bracket [Aqua Explorers] $85 ($60)
Pony Tamer [Reef Scuba] $90 ($45)
X-Bracket [Reef Scuba] $45
Quickdraw [Ultimate Products Corp] $110 ($100)
Quickchange Pony Band [Highlands Millworks] $?
Quick-Tec Pony Mount [Innovative] $120
Q Connect [Kohr] $99
homemade $?

Some other systems are:

Bottle Buddy [Sharkbait Inc] $120
PB01 – Mule [E-Diver.co.uk] $108
Pony Mount [Genesis] $80
Zeagle Mount [Zeagle] $?
Quick Release Pony Mount [Kent Tooling Diving Products] $70
Pony Bottle Mount Kit [Scuba Duba] $35
Quick Clip Pony System [Dive Rite] $100
Ultra Mount Pony System [Dive Rite] $39
B3 [Divemore] $40

There is seldom a *best* in anything. And, in some cases, the *best* would not be the optimum choice anyway.

I use a Pony Tamer for my argon bottle; If I used a pony, it would be slung.

Great collection of mounting system details BTW. But, it ain't RS, ya know?

MD

IMO the best pony mounting is to stage sling it. I use a fancy, $24, Cetacea P/N SBS02 Stage Bottle Strap and two Reef Scuba SMALL Stage Clamp, Stainless Steel $1.99 each, but you can do it for even less with rope. The SPG is connected to the 1st stage regulator by a 6 inch HP Stage Bottle SPG Hose ($27 from Extreme Exposure). Check out http://www.extreme-exposure.com/acc/halc-hosekits.shtml for an example of a 40 cubic foot; I use a 30 that is smaller.

Stage slinging provides the most flexibility and puts things were you can see them (reg, valve, and SPG). Since it’s mounted independent of the primary tank, changing tanks between dives is a snap (actually two snaps). It allows you to “hand off” the pony or remove it if it gets tangled.

While it may feel a bit awkward out of the water with a little experience you’ll hardly know it’s there in the water.

Mike

One day I hope to learn how to sling a bottle. In the mean time, I am using the X-bracket. I find that it does through off my balance in the water. How does the balance on a sling bottle work? I don’t carry a canister light to offset it. Doesn’t the weight through you off?

kingprawn once bubbled...
One day I hope to learn how to sling a bottle. In the mean time, I am using the X-bracket. I find that it does through off my balance in the water. How does the balance on a sling bottle work? I don’t carry a canister light to offset it. Doesn’t the weight through you off?

My 30 cubic foot pony is 4 to 5 pounds negative when full with a regulator. Since it’s hanging from the snaps rather than hard mounted the effect on trim is less but still noticeable. The best solution I’ve found is to shift one pound from the left side ACB to the right. I don’t drop any weight to compensate for the pony since I want to be weighted correctly should I hand it off. Keep in mind this means you need an additional five pounds of lift from your bladder (that’s why I went with a 36 pound Pioneer). With that configuration my left side is 2-3 pounds heavy and if I drop the bottle I’m 2 pounds right heavy. If you work with it you can get to the point that you don’t notice the difference with or without the pony.

Mike

I find it a lot earier to balance the wieght of the pony bottle that way. I just put 2 extra pounds on the opposite side fo the bottle. When I mounted the pony on my back using a bracket it threw my balance off. I hated it.

The ponease mount....and it runs about $100.

Side Slung on the LHS, comfy, easy to get too ,and if need be you can hand it off to another diver.

Why spend all that money on a crappy bit of gear to sling a pony ?

$3.00 worth of tape
$5.00 for 2 Brass clips.
$3.00 SS Clamp

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom