Steel Tank Weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
What does an old ScubaPro Steel 72 weigh? (full or empty, just please specify which.)

As stated in an earlier post, I have a pair of old ScubaPro 72s doubled up, and would like to replace them with something a bit bigger for the upcoming season. I've read the literature on weights and sizes of the new tanks, but as yet cannot compare them to what I have now (as far as weight is concerned), b/c I don't have a scale to weigh them on...:bonk: I think it would be of useful comparison to be able to compare the current weight that my back has to bear with what it might have to contend with in the future...

Thanks!
Adam

Thanks for the reply, but I would imagine that any information currently listed on SP's website would be dealing with the current production tanks. The ones that I have are the old-old ones (much longer than the current models).

Adam

Adam,

Do a search on "scuba tank buoyancy chart" on Google - you usually get a good selection of links back containing tables of tank buoyancy characteristics, but usually these tables also include the dry on land weight of the tank which it sounds like you're after. Some are quite comprehensive, but are known to contain the odd error.

Ben

Adam Samansky once bubbled...
Thanks for the reply, but I would imagine that any information currently listed on SP's website would be dealing with the current production tanks. The ones that I have are the old-old ones (much longer than the current models).

Adam

Figured it would be close enough. That alone is not going to tell you the whole picture anyway.

Adam, the old SP 72's were mfgt by PST. Empty and minus valve, they weigh 26.5 pounds, neutral in seawater.

I should mention further that the actual capacity of that tank is 65.5 cf @ 2250 psi.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom