How much are my tanks worth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SueMermaid

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have two Al 80's that are out of hydro. They are O2 cleaned and have been kept under pressure. I am moving out of state and need to sell them. Any suggestions on what they're worth?

Thanks for any info.

Sue

Oh, and they are out of visual too. The paint is perfect and they both have k valves and boots.

The tanks being O2 cleaned is not worth anyhing since they are out of hydro, when they get re hydroed they will not be clean anymore. Hydro will cost about 30 bux a tank. an Al 80 is worth between 80 to 100 in hydro used, so I would say about 60 bux each. That is if they were manufactured after 1990, if they were before then they are worth their wieght in scrap metal because no one wants pre 90 al tanks due to hydro issues.

Thank you for the information, Stangguy. They are newer than 1990, fortunately. They will no doubt pass visual and hydro no problem.

Yea the bogey is the typical $100. a shop will charge for a used AL80 with fresh hydro and VIP. An aware buyer will know to deduct the hydro, VIP and 1st fill, per local practice from the $100 to arrive at an offer.

Regardless of what you say they may also deduct for buyers risk.

AL80's are becoming a PITA once they are 20 years old. If these are getting close then that's another debit. This is aside from the 6351 alloy issue which should not apply to yours.

Pete

The tanks being O2 cleaned is not worth anyhing since they are out of hydro, when they get re hydroed they will not be clean anymore.

Well this is something that I was unaware of.

I just had 4 steel tanks hydo tested and they came back to me with fresh VIP sickers and the "Suitable for Oxygen Service" punch on them as well.

I guess I need to do some research on this subject or something.

Chug

Well this is something that I was unaware of.

I just had 4 steel tanks hydo tested and they came back to me with fresh VIP sickers and the "Suitable for Oxygen Service" punch on them as well.

I guess I need to do some research on this subject or something.

Chug
He was stating that the fact that the cylinders were previously 02 clean was meaningless since that did not translate through the hydro process.

If your hydro/VIP job was done to be O2 compatible the you are good to go.

Pete

if I were in the market for used AL80's, then $60 each would be my max for tanks newer than 1989, but out of hydro/vip.

In hydro & VIP, about $80 each.

The tanks being O2 cleaned is not worth anyhing since they are out of hydro, when they get re hydroed they will not be clean anymore. Hydro will cost about 30 bux a tank. an Al 80 is worth between 80 to 100 in hydro used, so I would say about 60 bux each. That is if they were manufactured after 1990, if they were before then they are worth their wieght in scrap metal because no one wants pre 90 al tanks due to hydro issues.

if I were in the market for used AL80's, then $60 each would be my max for tanks newer than 1989, but out of hydro/vip.

In hydro & VIP, about $80 each.

if they are in good shape, then about $80 is about what you'd get for them.

Pricing them at $100 each, they better be in "brand new condition" or o2 clean and filled with Nitrox. Otherwise they'll be a "hard sell" at $100.

$60 each is a good estimate. With a hydro $75-$100. You would be better off getting them hydro'd - I would not get a visual let the end user get it when they get filled. As for the O2 clean - as soon as they hydro's they are no longer O2 clean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom